What's new

What is meant when a movie says Pro Logic II? (1 Viewer)

Ken Burkstrum

Stunt Coordinator
I never really did figure this out. I've heard people use the terms "mixed in Dolby Pro Logic" several times and I've seen it in the credits of some movies. I know Pro Logic II takes a Stereo mix and simulates 5.1, but I'm uncertain what mixing in Pro Logic II entails....

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Pro-Logic (not II) is the original Dolby Surround format. It is mastered by taking traditional 2-channel stereo and creating a center and rear channel (the 2 rear surrounds are mono - both put out the same sound) using analog audio tricks, specifically called matrixing. A Pro-Logic track has to be originally mixed as a Pro-Logic track for the surround to show up in the home/theater. Most TV surround and pre-Dolby Digital theater surround is/was Pro-Logic.

Pro-Logic II is a technique built into HT receivers/processors to simulate surround from a 2 channel source and to accentuate Pro-Logic sources. Rather than being something that is in the original mix, Pro-Logic II is something that is applied by the processor in the home to simulate or accent the original mix.

For more info, you can read Dolby's website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks