What is like living in Phoenix, Az area?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff_Rice, May 12, 2003.

1. Jeff_Rice

Jeff_Rice Agent

Hello,

I will be visiting my in-laws in Phoenix, Az area (Chandler I think?) and I would like to know who lives there and get your take living there year round. Here are few more questions I have:

1) Summer weather...difficult, too hot?
    2) Job market (IT job market, I work at Ford Motor Co. (contract for 5 years) as a business analyst/web developer. I am really good dealing with customers and suppliers.)?
    3) Golf...I know that one!
    4) Housing, what are the best areas to live for schools, fun stuff, and nice houses...1700 sq ft. + 3 bd, etc....? (I live in a house that is worth $240k)
    5) Traffic?

Thanks for all your input.

2. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Insanely good skatepark!

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

From my friends who live in the area:

Most homes are 1 story, due to the heat. While it can be oppressive in the summer (I would compare it to standing behind a running bus), you will certainly acclimate to it, and the summer evenings are very nice even when the temperature is still high, due to the wind and low humidity.

Traffic can be rough, and a disheartening trend in Phoenix/Peoria/Scottsdale is that it seems like everyone just runs red lights. I'm not talking about slowing-to-a-crawl-and-checking-the-intersection running, I'm talking about just pretending that the light/sign isn't there. Scary.

4. Clay Kilpatrick

Jeff,

I will try to answer as many of your questions as I can. I have only been living here for almost 3 years, so maybe someone else can give you better answers.

1. It does get hot, but I am strange, in that the heat doesn't bug me. I very seldom use the AC. I find that the biggest issue is due to the fact it's so hot, everyone runs the AC way to low. I have to wear a sweater at work in the middle of the summer due to this. My first summer was bad, but I acclimated.

2. I am going to have to say the job market for IT sucks pretty bad right now. Or maybe I am just having bad luck finding another job.

3. Yeah, I don't play golf, but I guess it's pretty good here. I guess it's hard to find cheap golf, at least during the winter, but if you can take the heat, it's not so bad during the summer. Again, it's very possible I don't know what I am talking about.

4. As a renter, I really don't know squat about housing. I looked for awhile, and it can be pretty expensive if you want to live in Scottsdale. The further out you move, the cheaper it is, but that get us to

5. Traffic. It's not the worst I have seen, at rush hour, which is about three hours long, it's best not to be out unless you really have to be. Traffic during the Winter is much worse than the summer, due to the snowbirds. The best thing about this area, is the way the roads are laid out. Everything is in a grid, and it is very easy to find your way around.

Reading back on this email, it doesn't seem to be the most helpful, but I will close with this, Phoenix is a nice enough place to live. It has some issues, such as never getting most of the indie films I would like to see, but all in all, I say check it out.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask them, I will help the best I can.

Clay

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I live in Tucson, but at least I can contribute with the weather aspect. I LOVE the weather here. Phx is a little warmer than Tus, but still very much enjoyable. 110-120 degrees in the summer, but feels less due to low humidity. Not a problem at all, since everything has AC anyway, and all you need to do if you go out is bring some water with you.

Golf is great all around the area. One good thing about the summer heat is that there are some sweet deals on the courses, since a lot of people don't like playing golf in 110 degree weather. Fortunately I'm not one of them. [​IMG]

Traffic in the Phoenix area is pretty bad, red-light running is very common (just like here), but I'm sure it's like that in most larger cities.

Chandler is south of Phoenix by the way, we go shopping in their malls sometimes since it's not too bad of a drive from where we live. Shopping in Tucson sucks, but the Phoenix area has some very nice malls, with good HT stores too. [​IMG]

Haha, that's actually a bigger problem for me too. It's too frickin' cold in many stores and offices!

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

7. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

8. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

9. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson

10. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

HI, Im a Phoenix native (you probly wont find another one in existance) and have lived here all my life, except for a couple of years. Ill try to answer as much as I can.

1.Ok, the heat sucks. you get used to it a little, but remember, you go from your air conditioned house to you ac'ed office to your ac'ed car. Get the picture? you shoudnt be too uncomfy. August and July are a bear, with the "humidity", but, just think about winter on the course, and you'll be ok. I lived in England for a while, and I thought 80 w/ 100% humidity was far worse than the worst it got during monsoon season.

2. Cant really help you here. Im in healthcare, and all my family in computers is in hardware support.

3.Easy one. I think this town speaks for itself. If you can put up with the heat, find a nice breezy day and play some of the premier courses in summer. The usualy arnt in as nice of condition, but up to 90% off peak season green fees is worth it.

4. Its really a great time for housing. sure, Alot of Scottsdale may be out of your range, but for what you have now, you can get the same thing or much better for the same price, depending on the part of town. The west valley (Avondale, Buckeye, Tolleson, El Mirage) Have great new developments that are a steal. Im sure for around 250k you can get a house on a golf course lot at like one of the Estrella Mountain Ranch developments. I myself live in the East valey (Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert), and housing here as gone up significantly in the last 3 years. You see alot more 2 storeys now. better materials and building techniques have made is just as efficient. most two story houses will have 2 smaller ac units rather than one big one. after you live here a year, put your utilities on a averging plan. Its better than $200-300 electric bills in the summer.

5. Traffic sucks here. Its not like LA or anything, but it can be bad. The problem is construction. Back in the 60's, the transportation boards came up with a plan for freeways in the Phoenix area. They took it to the voter, who rejected it. They didnt want the taxes, and who thought Phoenix would get as big as it is. Well, we are now playing catch up. Major constructon is slated through about 2010 last time I heard. Traffic wil be more of a problem in the West valley, as there is not as many freeways as in the east.

Remember, you will also be living in one of the most beautiful places in the world AFAIC. within a hour of most places, you can be out on the lake water skiing or fishing. Within 3, you can be in the mountains, and within 6, you can be snow skiing, in San Diego, in Vegas, or in LA if you drive real fast.

ps-we are horrible drivers, its true. and we do have like 4 of the 10 most dangerous intersections in the US, but red light cameras and speed vans have helped out alot.

11. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Boy, all of this talk about Phoenix is making me miss it. My brother used to live there and I used to visit him. I loved it, however, it was indeed too hot for my tastes. I wonder if I'll ever miss L.A. if I end up leaving this summer.

12. Jeff_Rice

Jeff_Rice Agent

Thank you for all your responses. If anybody has good contacts in the IT industry I can send my resume to you to pass on. Again, thanks for the great responses.

How is HT in AZ. When I was there before I was so busy playing golf that I did not get a chance to visit any stores.

Jeff

13. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I've only been to Phoenix once. My girlfriend and I went last April and it was phenomenal. We both enjoyed our stay very much. We stayed at a resort in Scottsdale. It was so great. Everything was so close by and it seemed like there was so much to do. Of course, I suppose it's like that in any new city you visit.

We'll be going back again!!

Scott.

14. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I'm down in Phoenix on business for the last month (I'm from Nebraska) and its just getting hot down here. I understand its been an unusually cool spring. I can attest to how dry it is down here. 95 down here feels better than 80 in nebraska. Only thing is, my sinuses and back of my throat have been super dry from being down here. I guess I'm not used to it yet. I think it would be a great place for me to live as my asthma has been really under control while traveling down here.

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

16. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Home Theater is great in Phoenix. You have stores dedicated to just Home Theater stuff, not to mention Fry's Electronics which has a private home theater showroom with top of the line projectors. I really like it here.