What is LFE exactly? and how does that play into the Onkyo hts650 problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacqueline C, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Jacqueline C

Jacqueline C Agent

I have been reading in another thread that the Onkyo sr500 reciever that comes in the HTS 6500 HTIB that I was planning to buy has a problem that the "LFE" doesn't work with the subwoofer when a setting is on "mode 3." I'm afraid that not ever having a HT system I don't understand the problem well enough to be able to figure out if this problem is worth not getting this system. I haven't bought it yet so I can still go for something else. On the other hand it has a good price so depending on what this problem actually means it may still be worth getting. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

LFE stands for "Low Frequency Effects". It's the ".1" channel in a 5.1 system.

You didn't provide a link to the other thread. I suggest you ask the question there, where people are already discussing it.

M.

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Jacqueline,

The problem seems to be with the reciever. One subwoofer mode that takes the bass from other channels and sends it to the subwoofer works, but the mode that's supposed to reproduce the actual subwoofer output of a soundtrack (the .1 of 5.1) does not produce anything.

If you are/were looking at this set (HT-650), you may still want to consider the SKSHT-500 speaker set, which are nice speakers and not problematic, and pairing them with another reciever.

You can find a review of the speakers here:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...tml?tag=rating