What's new

What is Jitter? (1 Viewer)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I know vaguely what it's about something with the 1, and 0's not being packaged together as bytes instead being transferred as bits indiviually so there's no checks or sums (what are checks and sums?), then something happens and it has a negative effect on the audio? What is that negative effect? If you have good DAC's will these help the jitter problem? I have the burr brown pcm1704's in my 49tx. Is there anything the cd or dvd-a player can do to prevent jitter? I know about those thing you can buy (de-jitterizer's) and put in between the cd player and receiver what are they, do they do anything a good DAC can't do? If the do do something the dac can't do you think they are worth the money? That's all I can think of right now, I know someone has to know these answers? Or maybe you could give me a link to a site that'll explain it all. Thanx in advance.

Daniel Smith

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
jitter has to do with the actual medium moving because of vibrations, not jitter in the signal

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Actually, jitter is all about the signal (or rather signal timing). Take a look at this article for an overview of jitter and digital audio.
Adam

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jitter is sometimes referred to timing errors. It is an error in that 1s and 0s are not fed at the right time, and this leads to a degradation of the sound. CD players have a clock mechanism that handles timing of data transfer. (This is an extremely layman's way of describing this aspect of a CD player's design.) Some players have better clocks than others. Transport design is also said to contribute to or minimize jitter. For more on the subject, go to www.jitter.de .

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
Jitter is short for Jitter-Bug....a dance form that was popular during the early part of the 20th century. :D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
While jitter is a fact, and measurable,it's audible effects are largely debatable,since this error happens in the digital domain.Of course I'm talking about the avarage and better, jitter figures,usually measured in pico seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks