What is jitter?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John Besse, Jul 17, 2004.

1. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic... Anyways, I was doing an upgrade on all of my interconnects and some of the cabling I purchased mentioned that they reduce jitter. A while ago, there was a thread in the music section about copying CDs and burners creating excessive jitter in the burning process at certain speeds. I'm assuming that jitter is probably along the lines of having fluctuation in the soundwave. Anyone able to explain exactly what jitter is?

2. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

Jitter is a mismatch in time between a digital bitstream and a clocking signal. In other words, while the 1s and 0s coming from the source are all in the right order to recreate the music (or voice, or whatever), but the decoder timing is slightly off compared the reader. So the data is right, but it's played at slightly the wrong time.

Jitter can be the result of a bad CD pressing, or can occur when using a CD transport since the reading and the processing aren't in sync with each other. Cabling can have a large effect on the outcome in this case.

Here's a link I found that discusses it a bit more technically and in depth:

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/techtalk/JIT/

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

One would need an extraordinarily length of cable before that became an issue. Good site Philip, have you bounced around it at all?