What's new

What Is It Like Being In Love? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Just curious if anyone could describe it...in words...to any degree. Perhaps it is a difficult thing to put into words...describing how it makes one feel. Anyone want to give it a shot?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
While I cannot really answer your question here is something I recently said about a girl I am very interested in.
"Katie and I just fit so well together. It's like we're each half a zipper on a pair of pants."
Love, to me, is where you feel so in tune with the other person and care about their general well being above all else. It doesn't really have anything to do with attraction either. I think too many people still confuse love with lust. But it is really a difficult thing to put into words since it means different things to different people. IMO of course. :)
Dan Hine

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Knowing that my wife is the one person I want to spend the rest of my life with...the feeling that she completes me...that she is more important to me than life itself, and that I would gladly sacrifice myself to save her if that was the last resort...all that and more. Hope that makes sense.

John.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
One of Robert Heinlein running themes on love was that you know you're in love with someone else when you put their happiness before your happiness in all respects totally.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Love is a many-splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. All you need is love!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Love is like oxygen
You get too much, you get too high
Not enough and you're gonna die
Love gets you high

- Sweet

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
How old are you?
Alright. First, there's a pit in your stomach. That's a bit lust, and no matter what, will go away after time.
In the long run, it's never been uttered better than this:
"I'll die for you, but I won't live for you." *
That's love, to me.
If you'll live for someone, I don't even think it can be love. It's worhship, almost. They'll walk all over you, use you, and abuse you.
* (That's from the Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand; a lot of folks hate her though, fwiw... :))

Cam S

Screenwriter
Love can be the worst feeling in the world, especially when the person you "love" says they no longer feel the same.

"Love" has different meanings to everyone though

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> One of Robert Heinlein running themes on love was that you know you're in love with someone else when you put their happiness before your happiness in all respects totally.

I thought that was one definition of insanity.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Love is willingly watching the terminally boring 'Big Brother Live' for hours because she wants to watch it and wants me to watch it with her, what makes it bearable is that we're cuddling albeit with a glazed look on my face because absolutely nothing happens in this programme!:eek:
Also not watching a dvd you've been waiting all year to see because she-who-must-be-obeyed wants to watch some tv, well in my case thats true love.;)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
If you'll live for someone, I don't even think it can be love. It's worship, almost. They'll walk all over you, use you, and abuse you.
I beg to disagree heartily. My husband & I met at 16/17. We’ve been through most stages imaginable.
Lust
Infantile, jealous playing games state
Joy so high, when the floor drops out you know its going hurt
Starving together
Boredom
You are an alien from another planet and what did I ever see in you
Hate.
Years of highs and lows with each stating, if it was not for the children I’d leave.
Out of the dark valley
An appreciation for each other’s strangeness as a human being and uniqueness.
Laughing our heads off, when people ask, ‘What is your secret”. And “You two never fought, I guess that’s what made you different.”
What is true is a constant evolvement; (even when we felt like the marriage was static it really was not).
We had a core of something that through the years, was sometimes quicksand, sometimes hot/cold, sometimes fading into transparent wispy oblivion, sometimes pure sugar mush, and sometimes the molten heart of hell. What emerged was something hard and refined and survivor-like in the sense of someone who has lived with something cataclysmic and passed to the otherside with the gift of ‘knowing”. Something earned, which cannot be replaced, just as a tree which took 250 years to mature can not be replaced when lighting strikes it.
Truly “If you live for someone”, in the healty expression of that passion after making it through the stages above, what immerges is the desire to please, to make happy, you are incapable of ‘walking all over’ because each cares more for what ‘helps’ the other.

And yes, I live for him and he for me, Shakespeare describes a condition of heart I ‘give’ to my husband, in Taming of the Shrew” Paraphrasing:

My hand for his heel, may it do his foot ease

Personally I think Life and marriage are too strong for most. It takes love of clear and simple things and courage, to love life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks