What is in a carfax report?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'm curious just because I ran the VIN number of my current car and it has 3 hits...

Does it include recalls? I know I was in a fender bender (not my fault, but in NJ it doesn't matter) a few years ago and it's been in a couple of recalls for the ECU software. Is that included in the carfax stuff? How about warentee repair service?

I'm guessing these are the reports:

1)accident

2) Water pump died, warentee repaired at dealer

3) Air pump replaced due to small water intake.

Jay

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

There is a lot of info that is in a carfax report it just depends if it was ever reported or not if it shows up. Have you ever been in a fender bender and reported it to your insurance? That would put a mark on there. Needed to get things fixed at the dealership due to a recall, or not (that would also be on there). Basically anything that has happened to your car and been reported. If you totalled the back-end, had a local shop repair it, and payed for it all in cash. Then that would not be on the report [​IMG]
    The only way to tell what those 3 hits are is to pay for the report but it sounds like you already know what is on there (and they make sense)
    KyleS

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks Kyle!, Yeah, they must be the 3 things on the report..

Like Drew B, I also will make my final payment soon, one more month...woohoo and no more 5 year payment plan for me either...

Jay

4. Andrew Raubuck

I ran a carfax report on my car. I found a "free" report link somewhere. Anyway I am the first and only owner on the vehicle so I know everything that has happened to it. I also got 2 or 3 hits. I turns out that all of the hits had to do with Dodge selling the car to the dealership, the dealership selling the car to me, and about me getting the loan from the bank.

I had been in one small wreck, about $2000 total damage and had 3 or 4 things fixed on the car at the dealer under warranty and none of these showed up. Even the milage was a bit miss leading. I had many more miles on the car then the report said.

So, what I am getting at is, I dont think that the CarFax Reports are worth much of anything. Although, the next used car I buy, I will get a CarFax first.

My couple of cents worth.

Andy