What's new

what is HZ? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
HZ (hertz) is frequency. The lower the number, the the lower the tone.

Hz is literally "cycles per second" of a waveform. This is a bit of complex concept, so I would guess that if you don't know what it is, its applications won't be very useful to you either.

Do a web search for hertz, you find literally millions of documents explaining it.

-Vince

Julio

Agent
I'm trying to see if my woofer is set up correctly I have it at 80hz the cut off frequency I have the volume to have and I have the phase to NORMAL setting I raise the volume of the subwoofer on the receiver to +5 and with that I get 85db

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Sounds about right.

There should be a crossover setting the the receiver and often one on the subwoofer as well (the "cut off freq" you mentioned above).

If you have both controls, it's best to set the one in the receiver, and then turn the one on the sub all the way UP in order to not interfere with the version in the receiver. So if you have two, set the receiver one and turn the one on the sub to its highest position.

Julio

Agent
turning the CUT OFF SWITCH all the way on the sub would turn off the cut of switch?

yes my receiver has the cut off switch also I set that to 80hz?

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
Turning the crossover up to the max will not turn off
the crossover. But what it will do is keep the
subwoofers built in crossover from influencing the
recievers crossover (what Vince said above).

80hz will probably be a fine place for you to start.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks