What is "home theater bypass"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, Jul 10, 2002.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'm tired of trying to make my home theater and 2-channel system play nice. I really need two rooms with two systems but that isn't feasible right now.

I'd like to use my two channel pre-amp/amplifiers with a denon 3802 but have the ability to completely bypass the 3802.

Is this a function of the pre-amp? CDP goes into pre amp connected to amp/speakers, and there is some kind of loop that will input the receiver mains speakers output to the pre-amp for home theater?

If this exists or I'm on the right line of thinking I may have found the answer to my dilema. The Krell KAV300il has this feature but I don't totally understand it.

Thanks in advanced!

2. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

John:

If you use a preamp processor and separate amp, this is how it works: The CDP goes into the 2-channel preamp, which goes to the 2-channel amp (or the L and R channels of a multi-channel amp). Thus, the HT preamp processor is totally out of the loop for music.

For HT, the L and R front outputs of the HT prepro go into the bypass inputs on the 2-channel preamp, which bypasses its volume control. If the 2-channel preamp lacks a bypass, you will need to select one particular postion for the volume control (say, 12 O'Clock), and adjust the L and R volumes in the prepro. Then, any time you watch a movie, you simply turn the volume control on the 2-channel preamp to the 12 O'Clock position.

If you want to use an HT receiver, things will be a bit more complicated. Perhaps others will be able to help you.

Larry

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Thanks Larry.

So "HT bypass" is a function of the pre-amp and really is just a sort of pre-amp in that bypassed the volume control?

I would suspect good designs would keep this a clean as possible. I'm using the 3802 in direct mode with external 2-ch amp for music now but have been trying to figure out how to integrate my adcom pre-amp and keep the denon out the picture.

Sounds like a necessary feature if I truly want to make the most of a combined 2 channel and home theater system.

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi John. The only draw back to 2-channel preamps with HT bypass is that they are not in great numbers and that ultimately means that you would have to settle in one form or another. As I've stated in many previous posts, you shouldn't have to break the bank inorder to have a separate 2-channel system from your HT system or sacrifice 2-channel sonics for the sake of HT.
    Here's a very informative thread that discusses a unit that allows you to totally separate your 2-channel system from you HT system and for as little as $450-$550 and with superior audio performance.
    Enjoy and I hope this helps you out.
    Sony TA-P9000es
    Make sure you go to the end of the thread because there is a wonderful link to a review of the TAP.

5. Karl Erik Sylthe

6. Dan Marchewka

Dan Marchewka Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid tube pre-amp. Since I am only using one of the three sources (CD)available, I took out the input selector and wired input 1 directly into the volume control. I then put a DPDT switch in the input selector's place on the pre-amp. I wired the input 2 jacks into one side of the DPDT switch (for HT bypass)and the output from the pre-amp section into the other side of the DPDT switch. I then wired the output of the DPDT switch into the main output jacks. So, if I want to listen to music I put the DPDT switch up and listen away and do not turn on my Denon 3802. When I want to watch a DVD or listen to HT, I put the DPDT switch down and leave my Grounded Grid off and provides me a HT bypass. It works great with no ill effect on sound quality. The Grounded Grid is a very good pre-amp and can modified to whatever your preferences maybe. If you would like more information, here is the website: http://www.transcendentsound.com
    Good luck

7. MichelK

MichelK Auditioning

As you know, the Audio Research SP16/SP16L has a Processor input (bypass) and it is certaintly the best gear in term of quality/price ratio for the moment..