What's new

UHD What is holding back UHD and what can be done to fix it? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So, for the average consumer, who may already be streaming in 4K using equipment they already have at home, the incentive for going back to physical media just isn’t there. It reintroduces a problem that they’ve already solved and doesn’t offer a huge benefit.

Josh. You sort of threw me with this remark. Although I understand your point,I doubt the average consumer is even aware of 4K.

Enthusiasts here will feel differently and for us, our priorities are different and what we’re looking for out of our movie watching experiences are different, but for the average consumer, low cost streaming is where it’s at.

That's how I see it too but it bodes poorly for us enthusiasts. The 4K standard will likely never reach the economy of scale necessary to drive prices down to reasonable levels for either hardware or software.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
While we can't take it with us, some have extra needs that require us to leave what we can to children. I am in such a scenario, so the bulk of my retirement is not going to be for me.

You're right. I don't have children and shouldn't have made such a broad statement. My apologies.

As for projectors, I could go with a JVC D-ILA, but not a DLP (of any brand/model), which still puts me in the same price range. My first projector was a Sharp Z10K DLP that I got an excellent discount on (in 2004) for $6800. It developed the color wheel squeak after 5 years.

Thanks for the feedback! I've never owned a DLP projector and have been very happy with the 3-LCD models I have owned over the years. I'm not trying to introduce more risk [by going DLP] to save money, even if its substantial money.

What I should have done was to buy a separate amp from the get go, then I could have more easily swapped out lesser receivers to maintain all the audio formats and connections.
I also learned this lesson the hard way but I bit the bullet and went to separates when my Onkyo TX SR 605 suffered the well known display issue a few years ago. It was also a bit under powered for my needs at the time.

So, while I could follow your example, it just doesn't fit my needs. Incremental updates to replace failed equipment to maintain the status quo, and adding what remaining content I seek is more important to me then using the same funds to upgrade to a newer technology that I would barely ever be able to take advantage of based on what I collect. Granted I will eventually have 4K/UHD support through gradual hardware updates, but I'm not going out of my way to support it.

I think we're actually on similar paths. Most of my content is 480P DVD. I have maybe 50 - 60 Blu Rays and, at the moment, only a couple of 4K UHD titles. I'm not going to buy up-converted 4K in most cases. I did recently purchase the Oppo 203 but that was more due to Oppo's recent announcement than me being truly ready to embrace 4K. I just felt it was the best player available and wanted to snag one while the getting was good. UHD is almost certainly in my near future but, like you, there's no rush since I know it will be an extreme luxury.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That's how I see it too but it bodes poorly for us enthusiasts. The 4K standard will likely never reach the economy of scale necessary to drive prices down to reasonable levels for either hardware or software.

If 4Kbluray never reaches the economies of scale that dvd + bluray have reached, then most likely I probably won't ever jump onto the 4Kbluray treadmill.

(As mentioned in a previous post, the primary reason I ever jumped onto the bluray treadmill in 2011, was that bluray discs were already showing up in local dump bins at $5 a pop or less).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks