What is HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank, May 28, 2001.

1. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

Do you think you know the answer to this question?
    I have been watching what's commonly called HDTV since November of 99 but I still am not certain what HDTV really is.
    Let me illustrate.
    If a standard definition film transfer of a quality approximately like DVD is broadcast in the 1080i HDTV format, is it HDTV?
    If a high definition 1080P 24 transfer is made from a film and then filtered down to look no better then a DVD and broadcast in the 1080i format, is it HDTV?
    If a VHS tape was shot with a camcorder in 16/9 mode and upconverted to 720P format and broadcast that way, is it HDTV?
    HDTV to me, might not be HDTV to you and vice versa.
    Frank

2. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

look at the perspective of a live HDTV boradcast:
    which uses 16x9 high definition 1080i cameras; broadcast at this same format to your HDTV decoder box; displayed on a 1080i capable 16x9 HDTV .
    (I didn't mention 720p... the other HDTV format... since I believe it will be fading into non-usage)

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

HDTV today refers to TV systems capable of reproducing pictures with one million pixels or more. (720p has about 920,000 pixels and is considered to pass for HDTV.)
    While the system mentioned above uses HDTV video signal formats, the source material mentioned has much lesser quality. Even if the source were HDTV quality, whether or not you see HDTV depends on the quality of every component including the cables.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

Sure, but if the 1 million pixels are filled by taking a low resolution source and scaling it to a million or more pixels, is it still HDTV? By whos' definition?
    I wouldn't call it HDTV, would you?
    Frank

5. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

Frank; good point and just what I was trying to illustrate with my "Live HDTV" exapmle. You start out with a genuine HDTV broadcast; then question anything else!