What's new

What is HDCD and Spatializer? (1 Viewer)

Ihave a Toshiba DVD player that I purchased 3 years ago . On the front of the player it has the various decoders, etc., listed such as Dolby Digital and DTS. It also has HDCD and Spatializer as well. What are these as I looked in the manual but could not see any info. Will this player properly decode SACD?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
it will not decode SACD.

HDCD is a sort of 'in-between' format that provides slightly higher resolution than CDs, but is still below SACD/DVD-A in quality. HDCDs are fully backwards compatible with normal CD players...you probably own a couple but simply aren't aware. when they are played back in an HDCD player, you will hear higher sound quality than you would in a normal CD player.

i do not know what 'Spatializer' is.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Please note that you will only hear HDCD if you listen via the analog-out cables from your player, rather than the digital outs (unless of course your receiver also has HDCD decoding).

I believe the spatializer is a way of getting a surround-sound "feel" when using only stereo speakers.

BTW, keep reading. All of this is covered in the user manual!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
HDCD is basically a slightly higher-resolution sound format than normal redbook CD audio..

Spatializer is a 2ch pseudo-surround technology by doing some phase stuff to make it sound like the sound is behind you

mattjbatemanpc

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Bateman
Well, it is basically an adapter that decodes the disc inside. HDCD is a format thst is decoded by the spatializer :rolleyes::jawdrop:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks