What's new

What is, HANDS DOWN, the best 40-50" 4:3 HDTV compatible RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I kind of need to know...I may be sitting too close to my new 55" Mitsu widescreen for TV viewing (easily 80-90% of all viewing) and I am not comfortable paying this much money for something I am not completely happy with.

I would, of course, be much happier if I watched all movies...but the simple fact is this: My wife and I are TV junkies, addicted to our DirecTV/Tivo box. :) I need a good 4:3 set that is still big enough to show my movies with impact...

Unless someone has another suggestion...? The stretch/zoom/expand modes on the Mitsubishi sometimes work out okay, but we find ourselves juggling viewing modes more often than we would like...this is supposed to be relaxing!

My set could probably use a convergence job, but that's another story...

Anyway. If I'm going to return this thing, I need to know a good one to replace it with. I haven't totally ruled out 16x9, but perhaps a smaller screen would be in order. We sit about 10 feet away from the screen.

EarlR

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Trenton,
I would recommend the Toshiba 42HDX82. I have an earlier version of this set in my sunroom and it does a great job on both 4:3, anamorphic DVD and HD.

Earl

JasonCramer

Auditioning
even though it is a little large than what you want, i have had the toshiba tn61x81 for almost 2 years and absolutely love it. i highly recommend toshiba televisions. also, i just got the toshiba sd-4800 and the progressive scan makes dvds look amazing. compared to other, more expensive brands, (i.e. similar sony model almost $1000 more) i have no idea why toshiba isn't dominating the television market.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
You may want to check out the Sony 43HT20. I've had mine for over 6 months now and I'm still amazed with the picture of this set. It sure doesn't look like a projection tv to my wife and I. I've seen them on sale recently as well for around $1,300. The 16x9 enchanced feature works great for anamorphic dvd's. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Regards,
Phil

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Trenton,

A properly designed 4:3 HDTV won't look worse with DVDs than a 16:9 HDTV. Even your 16:9 set has 4:3 CRTs, they have just been permanently squeezed to a shorter 16:9 screen, where the 4:3 sets have the ability to turn the squeeze on (for 16:9) and off (for 4:3).

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
The more I watch, the more I actually like it.

24 was difficult to watch in stretch/standard/expand modes, however, due to the extreme closeups. For most other programming I'm warming up to various stretch modes, or flat out using the grey bars (For American Idol for example, we used the grey bars and it was fine...for darker material like 24, the grey bars were far too annoying).

Thanks for all the input...I think I had a pang of guilt just because I can't BELIEVE I FINALLY GOT A BIG TV!

:)

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Another reason I am swaying toward keeping the 16:9 set is cause it looks like HDTV/Tivo is just around the corner, and will be WELL worth the wait.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
RPTVs tend to shrink in time. I'm 8 feet from my 51 inch TV. At first it seemed huge. Now I wish I'd been able to get the 57 through the door.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Trenton,

Are you using (or switching to) Dish? If not, then the wait's still a while longer. Late this year is probably a bit optimistic for HD DirecTivo. Sure wish it really is "just around the corner". :frowning:

Btw, maybe you should see about giving HD broadcasts (minus the Tivo) a shot anyway. You just might learn to live w/out the Tivo for the short term once you start watching some HD content on your big new TV. :D

_Man_

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I thought about that, but my work and college schedules absolutely demand Tivo if I want to catch anything that is on before 10pm EST. I will probably invest in a HDTV card for a PC and use that for timeshifting eventually. Ahh, the wonders of technology. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... Maybe I should consider doing that also while I wait for HD DirecTivo to arrive... :D

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks