What is GAOO??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew S, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Matthew S

Matthew S Auditioning

I have a Panny Ct27SF11S TV, 27" "flat" screen. It has the letters GAOO in the upper left hand corner of the cabinet.

What does this mean?

Matthew

Happy New Year!

2. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I don't know, but I'll take a crack at it:

Great Ass Otherwise Ordinary

3. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I have Panny Ct27XF ... TV, 27".

The GAOO I believe was (and maybe still is) they're higher end models of televisions. Mine is about 6 years old.

4. Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels Stunt Coordinator

I believe that "GAOO" is roughly translated from Japanese to mean "King of Pictures."

5. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

GAOO is a term Panasonic coined for theie flat screen tube TVs.

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I can answer this one. The GAOO televisions were sold in Canada. In the states they were merely called "Superflat". Both versions are essentially the same. GAOO does in fact mean king of pictures and Panasonic thought this term would be 'too ethnic' for the american markets, thus the more generic term Superflat. I believe TV's bearing the GAOO badge came out in 90 or so, and are now being replaced by the TAU.

Enjoy your television, it's a beauty!

as for why you got a GAOO when you're in NY? Perhaps whatever company you bought it from got a great deal on overstocks in Toronto or somewhere in Canada, and sold you those so they could make a decent buck. However, warranties would most likely be void, as it is a Canadian unit. This is one suggestion - there could be many more reasons.

7. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

About 5 years ago I bought my 27 inch Pany Superflat here in New Jersey. It said GAOO on the box but untill now I never knew what it meant [​IMG]

8. Matthew S

Matthew S Auditioning

Thanks for all of the explanations. The TV was purchased at P.C. Richard here in New York, and came with all USA papers and and a US warranty so as to why the GAOO was on this

?US model, I am not sure.

Matthew

9. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

i have a 27" in the "little room", and its box said both gaoo and superflat also. bought in florida in ~96. nice picture btw. i also never knew the gaoo definition, thanks guys.

10. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

I also have a 27" panny (now relegated to the computer room as the Tosh 57HX81 wins the theater spot). Got it in 96 when I moved out of the dorms and into my own apartment. Purchased by good ol' dad. I loved that TV... Many a day was spent playing Playstation and N64 with friends on that one.

It also had GAOO on the box. Never knew what it meant.

11. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

When GAOO TV's first came out, they indeed did get sold here in the US under that name. I remember specifically, that they used Carl Lewis as the television commerical pitch man for this type of TV.

12. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Hmm--I heard that it was the sticky stuff on movie theater floors--they're packaging it for Home Theater use.
    [​IMG]