What is Flickering?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio_B, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,how are you?
    I would like to know what do you mean by saying that a TV is flickering?

Thanks in advance!
    Later.

Antonio

2. Phil O

Phil O Agent

I've heard the flickering problem described as fluctuations, spasms, and/or destabilizations represented by color/brightness variances/shifts in the picture to a high and distracting degree. The picture may only experience these shifts intermittently. The end result is a frustrating picture that one only wants fixed. The Sony WV models apparently have a huge problem as there are many threads with several people complaining about green or red flicker problems. I have read that Sony has handled their problem poorly by initially denying there was a problem and then possibly coming around to the fact that there is a problem the CRTs. People were steering around the Sony models because of this problem even though many consider the Sony picture as good or better than the other brands. I'm just wondering...are they fixing them? From my reads, it sounds like they are replacing one or more CRTs to fix the problem. Also, do the newly manufactured models have the same problems or did they fix the problems? Should people be looking at the manufacturer date of the TV before purchasing to ensure it is beyond some fix date in the production line? Buying a TV of a model where some have flicker problems is concerning indeed. It will make anyone think twice about it.

Phil

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Are we talking general TV flicker or flicker defects specific to certain TVs?

Phil's reply concerns the latter.

General TV flicker would come from the inherent flaw of interlaced video and/or low refresh rates. For example, I see flicker in NTSC video on an SDTV (ie. regular programming on a regular/analog TV) amongst other artifacts quite often. I also see this kind of flicker in 1080i HD programming on my HDTV.

FWIW, other people have also commented on flicker artifacts introduced by certain DVD players.

_Man_

4. Phil O

Phil O Agent

Good point. I came back here to clarify but you already did so...thanks.