What is EMO?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kevin C Brown, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

At least one person said that a band I liked was this. But I always assumed it stood for "electronic" something or other. ??

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

"Emo" is short for emotional...I am not really familiar with the music itself, but one group that falls into that category that is pretty well-known is Dashboard Confessional.

3. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

It means emotional punk rock. Pop punk with whiney meaningful lyrics.

4. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Emo is a form of punk rock that has highly emotional lyrics. Some popular emo bands are Jimmy Eat World, Yellowcard, Thrice, AFI (Mainly their album, Sing The Sorrow), and Weezer.

Not necessarily.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool. Someone mentioned Drive Like Jehu once, but I don't see them as punk rock though.

6. Daniel_S

Daniel_S Agent

IMO I really don't think Weezer is emo...[​IMG]

7. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

emo is the worst genre ever. why you ask?

because it originally started out as a style of hardcore in dc who lyrics werent the normal meathead or straightedge lyrics (see: rites of spring), but then it transformed into a bunch of punkish singer/songwriters who whined about broken relationships while getting into many a girls pants (see: jonah's onelinedrawing, dashboard confessional) and was hyped as the next big thing before the record companies realized that you needed more than one guy and an acoustic guitar to sell out larger venues, so they took the term emo and applied it to a bunch of bands who were basically just polished poppunk bands (jimmy eat world, yellowcard, and other shitty bands like yellowcard), or genre hopping no talent assclowns (afi, who admittedly made some pretty fun teenage skate punk songs before they realized that wanst the next big thing anymore), and then because that didnt have enough of an edge they created "screamo" for is mostly for polished/shitty hardcore bands who dont have sxe/meathead lyrics but yet arent talented enough to fall into the posthardcore genres (see murder by death, mcr).

so, my point is, emo is esentially only a marketting tool for gullible people and doesnt reliably represent any particlar style of music.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Tony-B: GREAT sig pic! What episode was taht from? i wanna make a higher res version of that [​IMG]

9. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

David -

I love that description of Emo. I feel so old! I don't know half the bands mentioned any more. Rites of Spring, definitley, as well as almost anything on Dischord records for a while were Emo. Soul Side, Fugazi, etc. Over the years, the music just got too whiny.

AFI is now Emo? The only AFI I know are the very first singles. I sold the first one on Ebay and paid for my wife's baby shower.

Matt

10. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I really like a lot of emo bands, IMO. Like just about all other forms of music, movies, and art... either you like it or you don't. If you don't, cool. If you do, cool. I just know that a lot of bands I'm currently listening to got me through a lot of tough times 2-3 years ago. *shrug*

Scott.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dave- Funny but cool post. [​IMG] Sort of like what happened to grunge then. So I'll just like what I like and not try to put a label on it.

12. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

on a similar note, i sold the first tsunami bomb 7" (which is a band that is similar to at least one of afi's many "styles") last summer and funded both the purchase of my dvd player (pioneer 563) and my prontoNeo remote . best two dollar investment i ever had.

and with respect to the current state of emo my main problem is that you can do so much better in the genre than what is popular.

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I'm only 34 (or is it 35?) but until she appeared on a recent Papa Gino's pizza commercial with Kermit the Frog, I thought Jessica Simpson was one of Matt Groening's bright yellow friends.

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Every generation thinks they have invented angry, counter-culture rock and roll, when in reality the bands today are pretty much the same thing with different production technology.

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That's interesting. I am a big fan of Fugazi, Jawbox, SDRE, but somehow I completely missed the "EMO" tagline...

16. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

and half of these commercial bands would never have made it if this were still yesteryear because they all rely so heavily of pitchshifter and autotuners, etc etc.

i guess one positive to emo, compared to straightedge, is that by virtue of being a "whiney" genre there is no hardline offshoot.

also, i think a little evidence to support your statement: Every generation thinks they have invented angry, counter-culture rock and roll, when in reality the bands today are pretty much the same thing with different production technology. would be to just listen to the mc5. its amazing at how well their music has aged. it still sounds fresh.

ps. planes mistaken for stars is a cliche emo band? they seem a bit abrasive to be counted with appleseed cast and the get up kids.

17. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Don't get me wrong, I like Planes a lot (in fact, they are one of the only interesting bands I've heard in the past few years)... but I think it's fair to say, especially early on, they had a decidedly emo-boy-rock slant to them.

Sure- they are a bit faster and certainly not "A simple Plan" or that kind of shite... but if you listen to the vocal delivery and the melodies- it really is a rougher wrapper around a very similar structure.

Listen to the first track ("copper and stars") off their self titled release from 1999 and the "I'll break you, I'll break you down"-- if that isn't emocore, I dunno what is, lol. Keep that record playing, songs like "the time ittook" are all very emo. the record is studded with angry edges, but it really does have a pretty, emo element to it.

Granted, again, I wouldnt say they are as much "direct to the jugular" cliche stuff as the getup kids or the like... but I still think they get clumped in with those pretty redily, and certainly have a big sugar streak in them.

Speaking of Planes Mistaken for Stars, do you know much about them? I picked up their first couple records- and the pics inside and what I saw online, they looked like pizza delivery boys.

However, I met them at a show last year (showed up too late to see them, damn!)-- and they were fucking insane looking guys. They all had dreadlocks and giant tatoos (one of the guys wore a bare chest under a leather vest with a giant celtic cross across his chest). They all basically looked like guys who fell off the Rob Zombie tourbus. I was a bit surprised.

18. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i have seen them a couple times live. if i remember correctly both times they had long "metal" hair and tattoos. i dont know if i would have said they fell off the rob zombie tour bus (no leather vests or celtic crosses that i remember) but i do sort of remember a tooth necklace, like maybe you would have seen on crocadile dundee. it seemed out of place which is why i remember it. my overall impression would have been some metalheads playing (emo)hardcore.

as for their sound, ill agree with what you say after going back and listening to those songs you mentioned.

19. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

20. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I've always been confused by the Emo title. I remember punk having supposedly "emotional" lyrics as far back as say... Descendents, maybe? In fact, listening to Descendents' ALL album, a lot of that seems like what people are calling "Emo" now.

Overall, I don't care what genre someone slaps a band into. I either like the music or I don't. In the case of the new Get Up Kids album, I -LOVE- it, Emo be damned. But I can certainly understand people's need to wrap music into pretty little genre-labeled packages.