What's new

What is edge enhancement on a DVD? (1 Viewer)

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching Pirates Of The Caribean (and all the extras). Ten minutes before I started watching I went to the archives to check out the review and yes it is a awsome DVD. One thing I curious though is the "edge enhancement" mentioned by the author of the review. What exactly is that? What's the purpose and at what stage it is done to the movie?

Thanks,

André

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
DON"T CLICK ON THE ABOVE LINK! *

:D

In some cases, ignorance is bliss. After looking at this sight a year ago, I can't help but see all the EE on most of my DVDs. Prior to it, I just thought that EE was one of those things with the format, but then I discovered it has been added to the transfer so that it looks "better", it drives me nuts everytime I see it!

*Just kidding about the above, if you want to learn about EE, that is the site to learn about it!

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Greg!

Russell, I'm thinking if I should look at that page while I type...hummm, I can't resist but thanks anyway. I'll never be able to say you didn't warn me.

André

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I've my my 16:9 set for a few months now, and even after looking at the above linked site, I still don't perceive much EE on my DVD's. I know it's there, but I guess I still haven't zeroed in on it. I have a 57" set, professional calibrated, and I sit about 9' away. I guess ignorance is bliss! I just watched Phantom Menace last week, and it look good to me. I know that's touted as one of the most heinous EE offenders, but again, I wasn't distracted by any EE. I also haven't learned how to visually identify compression artifacts, so I guess I'm doing pretty good! :)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

The EE reported by many people is not necessarily from the DVD, but rather their display devices so when you see some one yelling and screaming about noticeable EE from a DVD, it may very well be that their display device is what is causing or exaggerating the problem.

If you want to see how EE effects picture quality and you do not have any calibration DVDs (VE, AVIA, S&V, etc) find a DVD with a THX optimizer and cycle through the video test patterns until you reach the "Monitor Performance" test pattern. With that pattern displayed crank up your "Sharpness" setting on your display device and you'll see what EE does to the picture. The negative impact of EE is also easily noticeable on video images with faces.

Interpolator and scaling artifacts are often mislabeled as EE so as always, be careful when reading DVD reviews that blame EE for a poor picture. More times than not, the issue is in the display device or at least it is making it far worse than it needs to be.

It sounds like your 57" 16x9 set is properly calibrated which is why you are having a harder time noticing EE in your DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks