What's new

What is DVI-HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Donnie Seals

Agent
I borrowed my ol' mans Samsung HDTV tuner for some college football (looked fantastic) to view on my new Sony KV-34XBR800 set, and we hooked it up through component cables in the rear under the HD/DVD IN area. Then I noticed another input spot directly above it titled DVI-HDTV IN. It looked like a computer input, and it included a L/R audio slot as well. I've read the manual and I know it's not for use for any personal computers, but other than that, I don't know what it's for.

Is it a higher quality video connection for HDTV? What HDTV receivers offer it? Does the connection for this input come with a HDTV receiver? Has anyone tried this connection and compared it to component video? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
DVI is a HDTV input/output based on the same technology as DVI for computers. DVI stands for Digital Video Interface. I'm not sure if it offers any video quality improvements, but it gives broadcast companies the ability to copy-protect programming. If you have a HD Recording device connected via DVI, and the program you are viewing has copy-protection enabled, you won't be able to record it. No broadcasts are yet using this technology, and I'm not even sure it's been implemented in recording devices, but that is what it's for.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
DVI is a digital interface. This gives you the ability to bypass all the digital->analog and analog->digital conversions. For example, the digital video bitstream from your DVD could be sent directly to the TV (without the analog conversion to send it via component video). In summary, it will give you an increase in picture quality. The downside? Unless your sources have DVI outputs, the conversion costs for each component are hefty ($400+). The DVI connection is a good solution if you use a HTPC though...

Peter DuDeck

Auditioning
DVI is also a great way to connect PC's with graphic cards boasting DVI out. For video PC/DVD, DIVx, gaming or DVR (digital video recording).
Like Greg said, no additional DAC happening. Resolutions of some newer cards go up to 1920x1080 (or beyond).
I haven't heard about copy protection being passed through DVI, but leave it to the beauocrats...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks