What is DPL2 ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Hey everybody,
    I tried using the search function a few times first, but it won't work due to high server load. Hmmm, I wonder why that is? [​IMG]
    Anyways, I've been following a thread on the gaming software concerning a future game having 5.1 sound.
    Someone replying to the thread said that this game will have DPL2, which looks like it means Dolby Pro Logic 2. This is something that I haven't heard of before, so I wanted to learn some more about it. I have a receiver with DD 5.1,BTW.
    Is this something I can hear on my system? I am sure somebody on here can point me in the proper direction to show me some info on DPL2,so if you do, a big thanks to you [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

2. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

DPL2 is indeed Dolby pro-logic 2. You'll need a new receiver or processor to get this feature. From all accounts this is a giant leap forward from pro-logic 1. Basically it will take any source (music or movie) with a stereo or pro-logic output and matrix the sound into a 5.1 channel mix. Instead of a mono surround track, you'll get true stereo signals from the surrounds. When the search function is up and running you should be able to find plenty of info here. also check out Dolby's website.
    hope this helps
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

3. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Erhm... I don't think any software really can be Prologic 2, like it can't be Prologic!
    Prologic 2 is an improved Prologic algorithm, which derives 5.1 channels from any 2-channel mix.
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Thanks guys!
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."