What is Dish Doing to Support Local into Local?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Judson West, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Judson West

Judson West Auditioning

Being a DirecTV subscriber for a few years now, I am happy with all of the exposure that has been presented here and other boards including the DirecTV website about their support of locals-into-locals. My question is, what is Dish doing to support this new requirement by 1/1/02?

2. Adrian_N

Adrian_N Agent

I've been wondering what/when local PBS stations I'll get with DISH. I miss both of my local PBS channels. I'll probably give them a call some time soon.

What is local-in-local at DirecTV?

3. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Buying DirecTV!

4. Uchendu Nwachukwu

On December 27, DirecTV will be adding several Local channels to fulfill their must-carry requirements (see below). If you get locals now, you won't have to do anything to get these new channels. They'll just appear. This is thanks to the new spot-beam satellite they launched last month.
    On 1/1/02, DISH Network will be adding channels belonging to the seven major networks to their core satellites, so anyone with a Dish500 system will be able to see them (also to fulfill must-carry). However, more obscure smaller network or independent channels will be placed on a side satellite slot, so many people will be required to upgrade their equipment to receive them (exceptions would be those that receive HDTV or International programming). Dish will provide this equipment and installation for free, but you have to request it explicitly.
    "Must-carry" dictates that if a satellite provider carries any channels in a local market, it must carry all channels in that market that request carriage.