What is considered the best season of the "X Files"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos_E, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys:

Is there a consensus as to what is considered the single best season of the X files in terms of quality episodes produced for the entire season?

I did not watch the X Files during its intial run. I have become a big fan lately though as I have been purchasing the Season Sets on DVD.

Thank you.

Carlos

2. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

The 3rd season of The X-Files is one of the best, if not THE best season of the show. Everything about this season is perfect: the acting, effects, direction, writing and music are spectacular. With the exception of one or two clunkers out of 24, I think this is the season that proved that even your average episode could kick ass.

This season garnered mutiple Emmy nominations and awards, and really showed the thousands of new viewers what this cult show could do week after week. The DVD box set of this season is also superb, with excellent Audio/Video quality with a strong set of extras to back it up. Hope this helps!

3. Tony_P

Tony_P Stunt Coordinator

Season 3 gets my vote. The conspiracy eps make sense, the stand alones are good/great, the Darin Morgan penned eps are exceptional, and Gillian Anderson starts looking really hot! [​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Season 4- The golden age of the conspiracy!

After this season, the whole thing started to collapse

5. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Well, according to this website, Season 6 received the highest average score.
    Personally, I'll always have the greatest connection to the first two seasons (I started watching around the third episode) because of the memories they represent for me. I'll never forget cosying-up in front of the 13'' kitchen TV, lights off, and watching this strange and exciting new television show. I was in middle school at the time and figured I must've been the only X-Files fan in the world. I was also at the age where the episodes could truly frighten me--I'll never forget staring out of the kitchen window while watching the show, half-expecting to see an alien, or a werewolf, or a flukeman. It was an amazing time. Watching those seasons on DVD always brings back those memories, despite the occasional cheesiness or ragged effects work.
    I've enjoyed the other seasons I've watched the majority of (3, 4, 5, and 8), but have been less enthusiastic about this final season. I'm still considering purchasing it, but it really depends on the strength of these final episodes (last Sunday was a good start).
    Seasons 6 & 7 seem to take a beating, but I'll still be buying them based on the strength of the few episodes I have seen (Triangle, X-Cops, Requiem, etc.). For the record, work and college were the main reasons I had that falling out with the show--a problem I thankfully rectified.
    Evan

6. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Seasons 1 and 2. I don't know how anyone could not agree with that.

7. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

This season has been the most gripping so far[​IMG]

8. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Season 3 followed by Seasons 2 and 1. It started going downhill with Season 4.

9. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

My personal favorite is Season 2, followed very closely by Season 3 and then by Season 1.

Season 3 had a few stinkers that I'll never forget:

Teso Dos Bichos (one of the worst of all time)

Hell Money (snooze)

Quagmire

but even with those aside, it kicked much ass! But, I have to go with Season 2 because of the two best episodes of all time: Colony and End Game.

If you've never seen these 2 eps, you haven't truly experienced The X-Files!

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I'm split between seasons 3 and 4, but the first 4 were great, with 5-7 having some great episodes, but also mired with an even split of bad episodes. 8 and 9 have seen that ratio slide in favor of the bad episodes, but usually there were a few that were great fun if not great.

11. Mike Graham

If it wasn't for the lack of extras on the season 1 and 2 box sets, any purchase of the first 4 seasons would please any body. Season 2 is still enjoyable to me almost as much as 3 because the second season is when I first started watching the show all those years ago.

Regarding upcoming sets, as long as the extras, audio and video on the Season 6 & 7 sets are nicely done, I wouldn't have a problem purchasing them. Even though the show's average quality diminished during those years, "Monday" and "Requiem" are among my favorite installments of the series.

12. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Which was the episode with Alex Trebeck as the man in black...that was one of the Best Episodes of any television show ever.

13. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

That would be "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" from Season 3, my favorite. I think Jesse Ventura also played the other man in black.

14. Carlos_E

Steven:

Why did you not like Avatar??

Its is one of my favorites.

I like X-file shows that have very little humor and play it very seriously. Avatar was such an episode. I believe there were absolutely no jokes from Mulder if I remember correctly. Mulder and Scully were very serious and professional throughout the episode trying to clear Skinner from his predicament.

For those that don't remember the episode, it was the one where Skinner was in the process of signing the final papers for a divorce from his wife. He didn't want to sign them. Depressed, he goes to a bar, meets a woman, goes home with her, and sleeps with her. When he wakes up, she is dead lying next to him with her head terribly twisted 180 degrees from normal.

I liked Skinnners acting. Very somber. Also, the instrumental music which played in the background while Skinner is visiting his wife in the hospital (who had been in a car accident) is very nice to listen to.

I thought it was a very strong episode.

Share with me why you disliked it, and if anybody has comments on this episode, that would be great.

15. Mike Graham

The reviewer of the 3rd DVD set of the X-Files from Entertainment Weekly also commented about her dislike for this episode, even though I found it one of the series
    most overlooked character pieces.
    Virtually nothing was known about Skinner aside from his tour in Vietnam before this episode, and it really served to flesh him out. He's just as cut off from his wife as he is from Mulder and Scully. The idea that Skinner himself could be involved in an actual X-File is just as interesting, albeit improbable (but the series itself deals with what's involved with the realm of extreme probability [​IMG] )
    It was also nice to see the Cigarrette Smoking Man trying to catch Skinner in his weakened state so he could finally rid himself of Mulder and Scully's long time ally.
    Most of all, the actor who portrays Skinner, Mitch Pileggi, is finally given a chance to shine on his own, and is more then ready to rise to the challenge.
    The only gripe I had with this episode was the banshee possessing Skinner's wife to tell him that the prostitute was about to be murdered at the hotel; it really seemed to stretch credibility.
    Overall, a very entertaining hour of commercial television.

16. Carlos_E

Thank you for your comments Mike.

17. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I just didn't find the story to be very entertaining... the acting I had no problem with. However, it was just one of those episodes where I struggled to keep my eyes open; much like the majority of the season 9 eps