What's new

What is component video switching (1 Viewer)

jasm

Auditioning
What is component video switching?
what exactly does it do?
How does it work?
thank you

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
it's a switch for multiple component video sources to one output. It works like a switch. Many receivers are equipped with this capability, it's just for source switching if necessary.

jasm

Auditioning
Thanks Chris
I'm still confused though.
If you have a receiver with 2 inputs and 1 output, if there was No component video switching then how else would the receiver know which to put to output.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand your question. If there's no capability to do video switching, then that capability isn't there. If it is, then it is, and usually this is done via source selection. Some receivers can switch audio and video sources independantly, this would be covered in the manual.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If your A/V receiver has component video switching, then you can put Y/Pb/Pr and audio of your DVD player into say bank 1 in back of your receiver and when you select Video 1 at your receiver then the Y/Pb/Pr goes to the TV and the audio goes to the speakers with just that one selection.

If your A/V receiver does not have component video switching, you have to either use S-video for the same one button convenience, or connect the DVD's Y/Pb/Pr directly to the TV and it now takes two maneuvers to select your DVD player, select at the TV to get the picture and select at the receiver to get the sound.

Depending on what sources you are using you will need both component cables and S-video cable going between receiver and TV. Some of the more elaborate receivers upconvert incoming S-video and cross feed the result to the component output so you need only component video cables to the TV.

Note: Some receivers degrade the picture in the way of softer horizontal resolution and/or ghosting, HDTV is more sensitive. If you have this problem you may want to skip the receiver and connect the DVD player and HDTV set top box directly to the TV.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Let me try to be even more basic (forget input types S-video, component and composite).

If you don't have component video switching in your *receiver* then you have to change two setting every time you want to change the source - you'd have to change the audio on your receiver and the video on your TV monitor. That's because you would have to run the audio connection from your (say) DVD player to the receiver, and the video connection from that same DVD player directly to the TV.

So to switch from your VCR to DVD you would pick up the old receiver remote and switch to "Audio-2" and then you'd pick up the TV remote and switch to "Video-2".

jasm

Auditioning
ah ok got it. I'll look for component video switching when I purchace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks