What's new

What is compenent "s-video"? (1 Viewer)

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
I got the literature sheet for the Marantz VC5200 DVD player (5-disc changer) and in the photo of the back panel there is a new connection I have never heard of before.

Component S-Video out.....this one is new to me...any ideas or knowlegde of what this does?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It looks like a switch to select whether a signal is sent to either the S-video or the component output. I seem to recall something similar on some earlier DVD models (Toshiba?), but I haven't seen anything like it for a while.

M.

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
it DOES look like a switch rather than an input.....whats the purpose of soemthing like this?

wouldnt you want everything to run simultaneously?

Drake

Agent
Bill,

This is a switch on the back panel, not an input. If you choose to connect the player to your monitor via component cables, then be sure the switch is in the "component" position. You can do the same for s-video, but why (unless, of course, you have a monitor that doesn't handle component connections)?

Drake

Agent
Sure it would! I'm not a video guru, but I believe if you leave the switch in the component position with component connections AND s-video connections, you can adjust the display from progressive to interlaced via the on-screen setup menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks