What is causing this harsh sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

My Paradigm Titans are generally good speakers but I have heard people say that they can get a little harsh at loud levels. I think I noticed this today but I am not sure if the harshness is source related or caused by the speakers.
    I was listening to the song "Dosed" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers(A beautiful song in my opinion). At the part when the vocalist sings ".....the mountain where she died....deep inside the canyon I can't hide" the words hide have a slightly harsh edge to them. Is this from the speakers or the source(the volume was quite loud but not uncomfortably loud)?.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If you want to know if it's the speaker then simply turn down the volume and listen for any hint of harshness.

I know a recording is immediately at fault when even at low volumes I notice problems in the music. Or put on some good headphones and listen to compare the sound might work.

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I wouldn't judge a speaker using some of these new recordings. Many of the newer recordings especially the CPers tend to be compressed to hell making them sound very harsh.
    Put on "Hourglass" by James Taylor, if that sounds harsh then you've got a speaker problem.[​IMG]