What's new

What is better-buying from stores or from online stores? (1 Viewer)

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
Look at the subject line...
I've always bought from stores like Best Buy, Suncoast, and Barnes and Noble (execept my first DVD's were bought at Blockbuster and I purchased the Matrix at a Super Wal-Mart). I have wondered about buying online before many times. Even though I hate having to pay more just to have it shipped faster, I kind am not the guy who likes to wait for things in the mail. Anyway I want to know what's better, to buy stuff from the stores I mentioned above or get it online from Amazon of DVD Deep Discount. I think I will start buying online because even on older DVD's you get sales. For example Suncoast had the (surprise!) original Criterion Robocop. Still sealed also (I even saw the new MGM ones next behind them!). But it was $40.00 and that's a bit high especally from Criterion's other $30.00 and so prices. I hope they still have it there because the MGM one isn't going to come out for a long time and even the MGM one may not be the unrated version. Back to the subject I think I will start buying discs online. I really just want opinions and please respond this time!
Thanks
:D

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
I buy from both. It's a trade-off. With buying from a store, you can get it instantly (I usually do this if I absolutely have to get a DVD). On the other hand, you also have to pay sales tax and you have to go to the effort of driving to the store (although this is not a factor for me, as I live 5 mins away from all major retailers and am not a big couch potato). With online shopping, you usually get a better selection and sometimes cheaper prices. However, you also have to factor in S&H and the long wait for it to arrive in the mail.

My verdict: It depends on the DVD. I go with the better deal (factoring in S&H if online and tax if in a store), unless it's one of those "must-have" titles, and I can't wait to get it (so I go to the store).

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
If you have a difficult time waiting, then B&M's will probably work best for you. Personally, I enjoy the savings I see shopping on-line. It is rare (if ever) that I see a DVD I could have purchased cheaper in a store. For me it is simple:

B&M's: Immediate gratification

On-line: Value

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Check out my .sig for an opinion I agree with, and don't take personally thoose last five words. (Copied from the original article, of course!)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I find that my local BJ's Wholesale Club has prices that rival or beat online e-tailers on most new releases. The Godfather Collection, for instance, was $64.99, comared to Buy.com's $73.99.

I think BJ's is only on the east coast, but you might check your local Sam's Club, or other wholesale club.

-Scott

Jodee

Screenwriter
I buy the big releases from stores, the hit movies such as Castaway, Tomb Raider and the like. Usually Best Buy will have them on sale the first week at a cheap price, or I'll pick them up at Costco.

However, for any "non-hit" titles or catalog releases I'll order online. Usually even Best Buy doesn't get these titles in on street date (it took my local Best Buy 3 weeks after street date to get "Bamboozled" in) and even if they do, it will be full price.

So in order to save myself a lot of running around, I order Criterions, indie flicks, and catalog titles online.

I'll wait until Saturday before street date to check the sale ads for the bigger titles and determine where to buy them or price-match on street date.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
So in order to save myself a lot of running around, I order Criterions, indie flicks, and catalog titles online.
That is probably a great reason there...

So (using a few examples) I want to buy Planet of The Apes (2001) I can purchase it at Best Buy or Suncoast or even Sam's for maybe $19.00 or at least $22.00...

If I want (hmm...) the Image Nosferatu, I will order online at Deep Discount or Amazon and get it for a cheap price.

That's a good plan there, IMO

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
For bigger sellers like mummy, shrek or phantom menace, real stores sell it really cheap (loss leaders), but on obscure titles you have to pay more or you will not find.

DeepDiscountDVD.com is a great place to buy, no shipping costs inside us and generally the lowest price on the net.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I buy from both and generally, I agree with most people, the big "blockbuster" releases are as cheap/cheaper in stores than online. I did have one "shocking" exception just this afternoon, Suncoast in a local mall has Tomb Raider for $29.50 (I think the MSRP's only $26.95), in every other local stores (Borders, BB,..), the DVD ranges from $19.95 to $22.95.

On DeepDiscountDVD, they are usually the cheapest IF you don't mind media mail (according to their website, 5-10 working days), I am still waiting for my very first order with them (shipped on 11/12). If you like your DVD quicker and/or tracking, you can get it cheaper else where, as DeepDiscountDVD charges $3.50 extra for priority mail. For example, if a DVD cost $20 at DeepDiscount and $19 at 800.com and you don't mind media mail, than DeepDiscount is cheaper, as 800.com charges you $2.99 chipping (makes a total of $19 + $2.99 = $21.99). However, if you want the faster priority mail then DeepDiscount may cost you more, as the price is now $20 +$3.50 = $23.50.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
I often don't have any choice. Since my tastes often run into the eclectic, I'm forced to order online when my local retailers don't bother to order my obscure titles. Chopper, Wicker Man, the Pride series...on and on.

When I can, I buy popular titles on street. I won't pay an obscene price, like many local music stores charge, but have no problem going in on the release date and scoring a major studio title at a big warehouse.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Being that one of my 2 weekly off days from my job falls on a Tuesday, I just usually get any new releases straight from the retailer. If its an older release, I'll order online.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I long for the old days of the summer of 1999 when the on-line frenzy was at full speed, and I was able to 800 cents of from 800.com by setting new account after new account, I think I found at least 10 e-mails to use before they stopped me. Once the coupons for on-line went away, I pretty much went to COSTCO for most of my DVDS, they and Sams Club are usually the cheapest. You will hardly EVER see a DVD on-line cheaper than costco and the shipping and tax cancel each other, never mind the simple return policy if you have a problem and instant gratification.

But if you're looking for something that you can only find at the Virgin MegaRIPOFF store, where 39 bucks for some movie you just have to have, go to fightdivx.com and get a coupon and jump onto an on-line site. For me, it has probably been a year since I ordered online...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you pre-order from certain sites, you will have your new releases by street date (at the latest) without ever needing to drive to the store. DVD Empire always gets new releases to my mailbox on Monday or Tuesday, and I save a lot of time avoiding trips to the store.

It all depends on what's most important to you -- getting the absolute lowest price, or the convenience and time savings of online shopping. I will opt for convenience most of the time.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I used to do all of my purchasing online. But now it seems as if I get better deals at Best Buy. They are starting to release the new releases at about $17.99. If it ends up being a pre-1960 movie (which is most of my collection), then I will order through DeepdiscountDVD since they usually have the lowest price when you take into account free shipping.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
seeing as i'm in college on a limited budget, i do most of my DVD shopping online. the bulk of it is from half.com or by joining the Columbiahouse DVD club. i have it worked out to where, if you only buy the minimum and tell them the right intro code, it works out to

Steve-T

Grip
I agree with the new release vs. old release scheme. New releases can be had for great prices at Costco, Sam's, Best Buy, and do not forget Target(lately they have underpriced the rest by a dollar or more). My biggest complaint with online is the return. More than once I have received a disc loose in the case that was scratched and I had to return. I had to pay return shipping which erased any savings plus some, not to mention the hassel involved. Due to this I rarely use online anymore. Plus I have Ken Krane's down the street which has most DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread