1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What is best way to clean optical terminals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Experiencing audio dropouts believe due
    to dust/dirt, have no problem with Coax
    input so receiver DVD player OK. TIA.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You might consider visiting your local camera store and obtaining cleaning fluid that's used for lenses. There are also lintless type 'q-tip' products that'll help you get into tight spaces. Then follow it up with a blast of compressed air. I take it you've confirmed the cable is not at fault.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i use some q-tippy type stuff i got (i think) from rat-shack. it doesn't have cotten at the end...it's more like a spongy material. it has an extra long handle so it's pretty versatile.

i also think a good blast of canned-air should do the trick.

btw - i've been using the optical connections on my md from day one, but i've never cleaned them. i wonder if something else (maybe like chu said...the cable) is really the problem.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Recommended cleaning for fiber optic ends is isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloth. This is for communications fiber optics, so I guess the same could apply for consumer based TosLink stuff.