What is BASH?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_Ro, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

I've seen that the SVS pci subs all use BASH amplifiers, exactly what does this mean? Is it good?

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"The "BASH®" circuit uses a high-efficiency, fast-response, pulse-width modulated (PWM) power supply to provide the main voltage rails for a linear class AB amplifier. It varies the output voltage of the power supply in sync with the audio signal being amplified to maintain a constant voltage drop across the output transistors of the amplifier. As a result, the power dissipation (power waste) in the output transistor is greatly reduced compared to traditional class AB amplifiers, therefore the amplifier runs more efficiently."

Yes it's good and very efficient.

I think BASH is an acronym for something like "Bridged Amplifier switching hybrid" or something along those lines. Klipsch has been using this technology for quite a while in their subs.

Jeremy

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

See SVS BASH® webpage for more INFO. Linked to SVS webpage is the Complete BASH® White Paper.
    Phil

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jason,
    This amp technology has given (well, not GIVEN us, we put a TON of time and money into developing the PCi amp with Indigo ;^) a unit that is more powerful, more compact, cooler running, and far tighter, lighter and easy to assemble than our old amp (which as no slouch in any way).
    You can get a total BASH overload if you go here. BASH is not exclusive to SVS, rather it's used by the top subwoofer OEMs in the world and we've exploited the design to make what was already a great subwoofer (the venerable PC) even better in its newest guise, the PCi.
    And we're not done yet, just warming up as a matter of fact. Expect a whole family of powerhouses to come out of the SVS/Indigo labs. Next up is a 500-600 watt version tuned specifically for the PC-Plus rollout discussed here.
    Ron

5. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

Ah. Now I'm starting to get it. I was already aware that BASH was used in other subs but I just didn't understand the advantage of it. When I was reading the information posted on the SVS website I just didn't understand what some of the data they posted meant.

6. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Klipsch Ref. Subs use it to

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Bash:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. So another Canadian connection. I knew those guys in Markham had those digital switching amps on the go but it wasn't until recently that I figured out what was going on.
    Here's the company in Markham:
    http://www.bashaudio.com/indigo_home.html
    Geez, with PSB, NAD, Mirage, Paradigm, Axiom and Indigo-Bash Audio there is a lot more audio in Ontario than I remember as a kid. Glad to see an American/Canadian partnership in the the SVS subwoofers and Bash amps. Cool [​IMG]
    Hey, here's a question, in addition to performing equalizing duties, can this EQ be used as a crossover between front speakers and subwoofer?
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/ampeq_art_351.htm