What is AT&T Broadband DIGITAL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

My AT&T cable franchise is starting to offer Digital service. I dont get the technology "upgrade" here...
    A/c to their website (and my address) Digital is being marketed as better pix and sound, more programming, music, channel options, parental controls etc etc. While basic analog CATV is $36.79 mos, digital is $47.78.
    They use Chl 100-plus and give you the STB (type? there's no online references to technology here -- audio coax/ S-Video or whatever).
    Now my cable system was built in the 1970s by CableCom, and after two acquistions, now is owned by AT&T BB. Infrastructure hasn't changed; no fiberoptic retrofit program; no computer cable modem service. On HBO/Cinemax type chls 14-22, occasionally I DO get good analog DPL[​IMG]
    So what does it mean that they will give me DIGITAL CATV?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Digital I believe just refers to the way they carry the signal not the quality of it. In the cable industry they get awarded local franchises for specific time periods and if an operator believes it in their interest for a particular market they will upgrade the infrstructure to support better formats like HD. DSS on the other hand can deliver HD without going through the same problems, although there could be other issues on reception and areas. Cable cos. like any other business want to market their products to emphasize their good points. Since there are a handful or two of cable systems that can deliver HD at this point, although there will be more in the future, they use the terminology to their advantage. You don't expect them to market the product as the higher cost less quality version of DSS? Similarly DSS will market their products that don't highlight their disadvantages.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

yeah, I suspected it's a move to sell you "175 channels and nuthin's on..."

Their current analog headend sytem doesnt require a STB and I still get my premium movie chls (dont use pay-per-view). As for PQ, actually I cudn't be more happy with what I'm getting with wall CATV coax to a S-VHS VCR unit and S-Video switching thru my AVR.

4. Wayne A

Wayne A Agent

Ever thought a sat dish?

5. Wayne A

Wayne A Agent

Ever thought about a sat dish ?

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

some day...some day

7. JamesTR

JamesTR Auditioning

Been using AT&T digital cable for a while and decided to try a Dish. Bad move. The cable reciever has only composit outputs while the dish receiver has S-video out. The cable picture looks better on virtually every channel. Unfortunately, few of the channels have good picture quality anyway.

8. Jeff_Hunt

Jeff_Hunt Stunt Coordinator

I've been using AT&T Digital Cable for about 8 months now, and I hate it. The crappy cable box only has composite connections, no S-Video, no digital sound. The picture quality is crap, I've gotten much better with a regular antenna (granted, that's not consistent). The menu is crap too. There's basically nothing I can recommend about digital cable. I would avoid it like the plague.

9. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

I too lived with AT&T Digital cable for about a year and I hated it as well. The worst part is the delay when you're flipping channels - it's only a second or two, but it's really annoying if you like to flip channels fast. Picture quality did not improve from regular cable, and the menus are slow and horrible as well. And in the end, it really was a case of having 500 channels and nothing being on. Geez, why is it so hard for me to get MTV2 and Speedvision ...

Tried my friend's Time-Warner digital and it was so much better from a user-interface standpoint - fast channel changing, fast menu system that allowed you to watch TV at the same time, etc.

To answer the question posed by your topic title: CRAP!!!