What's new

What is an impressive weight for a leg press? (1 Viewer)

Travis D

Second Unit
Hi, I've been working out after school for about a month and I've have recently been alternating on the leg press. Right now, I'm at 600 (that includes the weight I put on which are 10 of the 45s (450) and the machine part that I lift which is 150).

I'm 187 pounds and can bench press 235. I'd like to know what the line is for bragging rights. I have absolutly no idea, so I might have just embarrassed myself posting my LP amount.

In case you're wondering, Junior prom is coming up and I can't get a girl with my big ole brain, so I'm resorting to the physical side of nature. It's not that I want a long term air-head, just someone who doesn't mind going with me and photographs nicely.

Also, any suggestions for ridding my minor love handles would be GREATLY appreciated.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
A guy I knew in college did 1200 lbs, but 600 is definitely impressive. As for bragging rights, my high school gym teacher always said that benchpressing your own body weight was the limit for bragging rights, so I'd say you're safe. Oddly enough, the only time I gained the rights to that was in college. I weighed 220 at the time, and benched 250 one day in my weight training class. It was right at the end of class, and the guys I worked out with didn't think I could do it (I was struggling with 200), and I was rather angry. Not only did I do it, but I did two slow, perfect, extra reps for good measure. I got, gave them a stern look, and walked out without saying a word. I didn't bother to shower, just grabbed my bags and left. Luckily it was a Friday, because I pulled something, and bad! I could barely move all weekend, and when I returned on Monday I convinced them that it was a good day to do a lower body workout. I hurt like hell, but at least I had proved them wrong.:D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
At my peak before I stopped working out I was benching about 360 and Leg Pressing around 850. Im 6'1,225-30 pounds.

As for Leg Presses,around 1200 was the most Ive seen someone do.

I wouldnt worry about whats impressive, rather whats getting you results.Be careful.

Travis D

Second Unit
1200 eh?

Looks like I'll have to cut out my nightly sit-on-ass time if I hope to reach that by football season.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I used to be able to do around 750 when I was in college. I am a soccer player. Having strong legs is a must. Plus I'm only 5'7", so I don't think I've done too bad at all. I couldn't do close to that now. I'm out of shape, and I have a bad knee from playing indoor soccer on turf. Don't ever play indoor soccer on turf. It's like running on concrete. Your knee's will be out in no time.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Back when I was in high school, I watched my father leg press 1000 pounds. With one leg. No joke. I was a much better behaved child after that.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Back before I broke two cervical vertebrae in Desert Storm I was benching 425 and leg-pressing 850. At 6', 220lbs and 8% bodyfat I was a bit of a bulldog.

We won't even talk about today.

As for you, considering your age, you seem to be on the right track. Keep up the good work.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Also, any suggestions for ridding my minor love handles would be GREATLY appreciated.
Diet. Diet, diet, diet.

Although there are exercises that build muscle in your obliques (I don't know what they're called, but I can describe them if you want), they don't get rid of love handles. If you're really serious about it, you just want to lose fat, which is always good.

If you're already fit, then to lose fat you'll have to keep and extremely strict diet.

The other thing you can do is cardio- running, cycling, etc. Combined with a strict diet, this will burn away the fat.

For many men, however, they're always going to have a little flub on the sides. IMO, if you're fit and you take care of yourself, which you seem to be doing, the effort required to possibly burn away the love handles is not worth it.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
Adil,

Me too! Mine's on my arm from when I got knocked over from behind. I had this thing about scoring goals in bunches. We were playing a really good team. I scored two goals to go to tie the game up with only a few minutes left. I was on a break away to score the winning goal when I got hammered down from behind. I landed on my stomach with my right arm underneath me. I have a nice little scar from that fall. Of course we ended up losing the game. The team scored the winning goal about a minute later. I miss soccer. I have to get some surgery on my knee, and then get back into shape so that I can play again.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I am pretty proud that I can leg press 20 slow reps of 480 pounds. I'm only 5'9" and 140 pounds soaking wet. I can bench around 115. It's weird, I've been weight training for a good year now, and though I've only gained about 6 pounds I've gotten much much stronger than when I started. I read a NY Times article this week about genetics and exercise, and I think I fall into the "doesn't get bigger but gets stronger" category.

My goal for the year is to get up to 150 pounds and bench at least 135.

-Max

KyleS

Screenwriter
I think that there are a lot of factors that are involved in how impressive certain weights can be The first being your size when someone happens to see you. Others being the length of your Levers (Arm & Leg length), etc.
I cant for the life of me remember the equation taking your Leg press, bench press, vs your weight but to me that was one of the best ratios. Saying you could lift 2.2 or more of your weight.
When I was working out all of the time I could Bench press (3) rep 305 and single rep 360. For my leg press I couldnt single rep (no machine to test this safely) but I could 3 rep 825Ibs. At the time I was 5'11" and weighed 205.
Does someone know the ratio like BenchXleg press divided by weight then divide by 2??? Man dont you hate it when you cant remember things from College ;)
KyleS

Steve_J

Grip
One good way to burn fat (and get toned) is to do a continuous high-rep, lower weight workout. For chest for instance, I do three machines in a row with 15 reps each with no break in between and then some free weights and pushups. Thats it. The high reps help to provide a little cardio and tone the muscles, if you want to loose weight. Combine that for all your workout with 30 min of cardio and a good diet and you'll loose the love handles....eventually.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Well, My next door neighbor regulary did 1500 pounds on the Leg press.

Until last month.

He broke his leg during one such workout, earning himself a steel rod in his right leg. His tibia and fibia (I hope those are the right bones) were broke clear in half. Certainly an eye opener for sure.

BTW, the dude weighs 215. Before he broke the leg he was up at 235.

Michael.

Travis D

Second Unit
Gah. (insert throwing up smiley here)

Once again proving that bones are not a constant factor in lifting weights. Eventually they WILL break.

I'll be happy if I reach 900. That is my set goal for September of this year. In other news, I've moved up to 650. Only 250 lbs to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks