What is acceptable hiss comming from receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattSherlock, Mar 10, 2002.

1. MattSherlock

MattSherlock Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3802 and I was wondering how much if any hiss I should be hearing from my speakers. I do hear a faint hiss from my mains which are Klipsch KLF 10's when I have the volume maxed out. I like some feed back from others out there if you put you receiver in direct mode and change to an input you don't use and max out you volume. Do most hear absolute silence

or some hiss at all, just curious.

2. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

With my Outlaw 1050, I could only hear hiss when the volume was almost at the maximum. At normal listening levels, it was dead quiet. To me, it's only a problem if you can hear 'noise' during the quietest scenes in movies or passages in music (like between two tracks on a CD).

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

are we talking about from the listening postion, or with your ear up against the tweeeter?

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

With my Marantz AV560U/Rotel RMB-1066 combo I get ZERO hiss with the volume at max and my ear at the speakers.

Kevin

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

And of course speaker wire has an influence as well, both length and quality.

7. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I probably couldn't hear it anyway. But another 3802 owner called Denon and R&R his unit. But his was a loud hiss. See 3802 defects post.

I will check it now! Wish me luck!

Yes! At +++++14 max volume I can hear the ocean. This is normal for any amp. Not a hiss but background noise.

I used the phono input which is double amplified!

I will try to find another input that is empty!

------- 19 is as loud as I play anything.

OK// aux tape is 75% less back ground noise than phono at + 14. And no, I will not do this with any used input. This is all normal for a high output RCVR. It is pumpimg 110 RMS over 20-20000 cycles. I think that is great for background noise. You will never hear this playing any kind of signal. Now , if you hear a hiss with music, send it back. The sig level should be 100 times any circuit noise with real signal volts flowing through the circuits.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

On my CD input, I only hear very faint hissing when my ear is at the speaker, but like someone said previously, that is normal for tweeters. Now, any input that involves my TV produces a hum, but that's a whole different story altogether!