What is a walk-off homerun?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Hedtke, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I don't know if this is a recent trend, but I've been noticing the phrase "walk off homerun" almost nightly on ESPN2's Bottom Line. Now, I thought I had it figured out. I assumed a WOHR meant that there were two men on base, your team was down by a run and you hit a homerun in the bottom of the ninth. Well, it was a walkoff since your run didn't matter. As long as the other runners crossed home plate you didn't need to make the trip around: hence the term-walk-off. Well, what threw me was the other night, on the Bottom Line, they mentioned that player X hit a game-winning, walk-off SOLO homerun. That doesn't compute. Even if the ball goes over the fence, the player still has to touch every base. So, what does the term actually mean?

Bruce

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

It's a new term for a game winning homerun, IMO. But I've heard commentators call a homerun hit in the 4th inning a game winning homerun since it ended up being the difference.

So to be exact a "walk-off homerun" is a homer hit either in the bottom of the 9th or extra inning that after being hit the teams "walk off the field." I think it's a silly term myself.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Actually, a walk-off HR can only occur for the home team in their last at-bat of the game. When a player hits a homer in that situation that wins the game for his team, that's a walk-off homer.

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Wouldn't being hit in the bottom of the 9th or extra inning (perhaps better typed as bottom of the 9th/extra inning) imply it was done by the home team?

5. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Yes, it's where you drive in the winning run with your HR. However, you (the HR hitter) would still cross the plate as it's scored as a HR. So, in the case of the walk-off solo HR, the teams are tied in the 9th. If you were tied and the bases were loaded, it would be a walk-off grand slam and all the runs would count.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

So...in other words, it's a fancy title for game-winning homerun? That's just silly [​IMG]. To think, 10-15 years ago, they probably didn't even keep track of that. Oh, wait...this is baseball and they do keep track of everything [​IMG]
    Bruce

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It's a game-winning HR in a team's last at-bat, thus more dramatic than a GWHR hit in the 2nd inning or 6th inning.

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

It doesn't necesarily have to be the teams last at bat, it just turns out to be that way. The first batter up in the bottom of the ninth could hit it and be a "walk off" HR.

9. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I personally HATE the term. I don't think its a title or anything, it was just slang that got tossed around that someone at ESPN picked up on and now its walkoff this, walkoff that.

I swear I recently heard this abortion of a phrase used as a "walkoff walk," and a "walkoff single". NEVERMIND the fact that in both cases the pitcher and defense would not be walking off the field while the play was occuring.

ARGH... just another reason why I am upset with baseball.

And also, note to baseball players, bellbottoms went out of style in the 70s, show a little stirups please

-- Matt

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Interesting way to look at it, Joel. I guess when I read it that way all I can do is chuckle and imagine 20-odd players huddled around home plate with bats. [​IMG]

12. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Well, the point being that once the home team scores a winning run of any sort in the 9th, the game is over. It doesn't matter if they still have 3 outs to go or not and thus potentially lots more runs to make.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

BTW, After John Smoltz gave up a run to put the Rockies ahead 6-5 in the top of the 9th inning today, Gary Sheffield hit a solo homer to tie the ballgame, and then Chipper hit a walk-off homer to win the game, all with no outs, but in the Braves' final at-bat! Yay!