What is a USB memory key?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Shawn O, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I've been looking for a notebook for my wife and I keep comming across USB memory key as an option,either in 16 or 32MB .What exactly is it?Are there any advantages or disadvantages in having it?

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

It sounds like you are talking about a flash memory stick that connects to the USB port of the notebook. I have one that is 64 MBs that I use when I need to transfer small files to a customer's PC.

If that's not it I have no idea what you are talking about.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah they're basically mini-portable hard drives you store files in...Its about the size of your thumb, and goes into your USB slot if you wanan download files to it.

Some USB devices are also locks, whihc require you to have the USB in the port before you have acess to the laptop, but those wouldnt have storage for files (16/32MB) so i dont think those are what you're talking about

4. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

The USB memory key is a delicious little device. I even have a 128 MB one that uses SD cards so they can be interchanged or upgraded. Very usefull for transferring large files. Pretty much any computer running W98 or later will recognize them right away and install the driver for them as soon as the key is plugged in. It shows up as just another disk drive that you can drag and drop files on just like a floppy only it is much bigger and faster than a floppy.

5. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

Excellent,thanks for the explanations.It sounds like it could come in very handy.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I was also thinking about getting one--I saw an ad for a 64MB stick for only $9.95. Seems pretty handy.

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

It's also good to have a small capacity stick with Win98 bootfiles on it. Since most new computers can boot from USB.

Brent

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Comp USA has one that comes in a little carrying case. It looks like you can either wear it around your neck (in it's leather case), or clip it to your belt, or put it on your key chain.
    [​IMG]

9. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

those USB drives are really popular on campus. most of the students will carry them around since they hold more than a floppy and there's a better chance of finding a computer with a USB port than one with a zip drive.

don't use one myself, I just tend to email myself the stuff [​IMG]

10. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Many of them do have a strap to wear around the neck. And people thought pen protectors were Geeky. [​IMG] Maybe Nic Burns will sport one on the next SNL.