What's new

What is a USB memory key? (1 Viewer)

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I've been looking for a notebook for my wife and I keep comming across USB memory key as an option,either in 16 or 32MB .What exactly is it?Are there any advantages or disadvantages in having it?

Thanks,
Shawn

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you are talking about a flash memory stick that connects to the USB port of the notebook. I have one that is 64 MBs that I use when I need to transfer small files to a customer's PC.

If that's not it I have no idea what you are talking about.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah they're basically mini-portable hard drives you store files in...Its about the size of your thumb, and goes into your USB slot if you wanan download files to it.

Some USB devices are also locks, whihc require you to have the USB in the port before you have acess to the laptop, but those wouldnt have storage for files (16/32MB) so i dont think those are what you're talking about

Lee L

Supporting Actor
The USB memory key is a delicious little device. I even have a 128 MB one that uses SD cards so they can be interchanged or upgraded. Very usefull for transferring large files. Pretty much any computer running W98 or later will recognize them right away and install the driver for them as soon as the key is plugged in. It shows up as just another disk drive that you can drag and drop files on just like a floppy only it is much bigger and faster than a floppy.

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent,thanks for the explanations.It sounds like it could come in very handy.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I was also thinking about getting one--I saw an ad for a 64MB stick for only $9.95. Seems pretty handy.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It's also good to have a small capacity stick with Win98 bootfiles on it. Since most new computers can boot from USB.

Brent

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Comp USA has one that comes in a little carrying case. It looks like you can either wear it around your neck (in it's leather case), or clip it to your belt, or put it on your key chain.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
those USB drives are really popular on campus. most of the students will carry them around since they hold more than a floppy and there's a better chance of finding a computer with a USB port than one with a zip drive.

don't use one myself, I just tend to email myself the stuff ;)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Many of them do have a strap to wear around the neck. And people thought pen protectors were Geeky. :) Maybe Nic Burns will sport one on the next SNL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks