What's new

What is a teamster? (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard the expression "Teamster" before, but what exactly does it mean? Is it a particular union, or a particular company? Is it connected with driving for money?

How / Why does one become a teamster?

Bob

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Building Better Lives. Together.
That's what the International Brotherhood of Teamsters is all about.

To make life better for Teamsters members and their families—and for all working families—the Teamsters organize the unorganized, make workers' voices heard in the corridors of power, negotiate contracts that make the American dream a reality for millions, protect workers' health and safety, and fight to keep jobs in North America.

Today's Teamsters are a community of workers, fueled by a contagious spirit that is equal part compassion, commitment, creativity, solidarity, and strength. Collectively, we are dedicated to the ultimate tenet of the trade union movement—the commitment to enhance the lives of our members all across North America . . . and to win justice for working families

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Now, to answer the question you actually asked:

Yes, today word "Teamster" is used almost exclusively to refer to members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, a labor union that mostly represents freight drivers and handlers, though other occupations are also represented in the union.

"Teamster" started out as a generic term for men who handled "teams" of horses, harnassed to wagons - the frieght handlers of their day. To this day the Teamster's logo incorporates pictures of a horse and, if I recall correctly, an old-fashioned wooden horse collar and spoked wagon wheel.

Regards,

Joe

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Oh no... let's not get into it about the Teamsters...
:rolleyes:
I believe there was a quote at the end of a Simpsons episode, which just about sums it up...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think one or more of the pilot's unions are actually a part of the teamsters, just can't remember which one.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
If you watch Hoffa, you'll learn a teamster is someone who smokes a lot of cigarettes and says "c*cksucker" alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks