What is a "slip yolk" on an SUV?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alf S, May 3, 2005.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Took my Sorento 4x4 in for a strange random "thump" sensation I get when I let off the brake at a stop light etc..doesn't happen all the time though.

The KIA mechanic determined it was due to an under lubricated slip yolk...

Any idea what this yolk thing is or does?

It was under warranty, so the "fix" was free thankfully, but just curious what this is.

Thanks
    Alfer

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    [​IMG]

The slip yoke problem was a nightmare for me back in '99 when i tried telling the Srvc guys about it.

The slip yoke is a piece that the drive shaft attaches to and inserts into the the tail end of the tranny/transfer case. Its designed for the drive shaft to slip in and out of the tranny due to any movement/twisting/etc of the frame and rear end under load. Some slip yokes fit over the drive shaft and some performanc slip yokes even have a zerk fitting for greasing up with a grease gun.

The problem with some slip yokes is that if not kept lubed, will rust slightly. This of course will give an annoying chirp/thud everytime it slips.

Its an easy fix though. Just use some synthetic lube and your good for a few months, up to a couple years like me.

Finally, GM owned up and released a new nickel-plated one which was suppose to not squeek/squack/thump anymore.

Might wanna try and ask if the nickel-plated one is available for your ride and try and get them to replace it.

If not, just jack her up, remove the driveshaft and lube it yourself next time it happens.

3. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Thanks so much for the detailed post Henry!! Much appreciated..!

Since the car is under warranty, I guess I'll just go back as needed to have them lube it up since I am not remotely car repair inclined.

[​IMG]