what is a SERVO SUBWOOFER does no one have a answer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David D. C., Dec 30, 2001.

1. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

i have a infinity servo sub and would like to be inlighted to the pros of a servo sub.

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Most simply put, a servo sub has a mechanism (the servo) that senses when the driver is getting out of control... maybe it should be pushed right up to the limit, but it goes past it instead (maybe even bottoms out). The servo mechanism brings this back under control and back in line with the incoming signal, thus reducing distortion... because distortion is, by definition, any deviation from the incoming signal.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

As has been said, servo is a feedback device designed to reduce distortion. Some incarnations are better than others. Velodyne is probably the most noted servo sub.

4. David D. C.

mine is an infinity and i also would like to know why a stero reciever will not push it???? this is great info thanks

5. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

i think your sub has its own amplifier. you just need to connect the lfe input of the sub (rca jack) to the lfe out of the receiver if there is any.

6. David D. C.

i have done that and i get nothing

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The infinity servos have little in common with the Velodyne design...except the nametag.

If you have the sub connected to the subwoofer preout of your dolby digital receiver and are not getting any output from the subwoofer...

1)go into the speaker setup menu in the receiver/processor and make sure all speakers are set to SMALL...and the subwoofer is set to YES.

2)Make sure the subwoofer is *on* and it's volume control is set to say 50% to start.

3)try a different cable to connect the subwoofer to the receiver.

4)make sure you're using bass heavy source material---an action packed 5.1 DVD, or a good rock/rap CD.

TV