What's new

Directors What is a Home Theater? (1 Viewer)

SarahLeeAb

Auditioning
I'm wondering how different people define what makes a home theater, in particular, what makes a good home theater? Is there a single item which 'makes' the theater?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Sarah, welcome to the forum. There is no one way to define a home theater. Simply, I would say a display device, some form of audio source (receiver, speakers etc.), media (dvd, vhs etc.) and seating. After visiting many of the member's links in their profiles and signatures, you will see home theater comes in all sizes and forms. From the conservative to the extravagant. On the front page you will find a "theater" link to members various home set-ups. Welcome again to the madhouse.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is "can-of-worms" territory, and a topic that seems to come up on an annual basis. Here's a current thread in the HT Basics area:

HT definitions

The best way to "define" a home theater without making class distinctions between haves and have-nots (and have-a-littles) is to say that it is a state of mind. If your equipment allows you to lose yourself in the cinematic experience at home then it can be said that you have a "home theater."

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Welcome to the HTF Sarah!
What is Home Theater? Home Theater is a state of mind, no it isn't, [thinking] it's the whole universe in a microcosm, you have sound and fury, spectacle and popcorn (salted), all in the comfort of your own home, and no one to tell you to be quiet.;)

Buying that? No, ok Home Theater is a decent-sized widescreen tv, a dvd player an amp, a woofing woofer and a bunch of speakers dotted around the room.
There you go.:)

Is there a single item which 'makes' the theater?
'You', because without you there is no Home Theater. There is no spoon. No? Okay I would say the screen is the single most important item, you build your home theater around that. Well I did!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jack nailed it.

And Steve's definition is useful, and generally what folks here and elsewhere are thinking when they discuss "home theater": a particular arrangement of hardware in a space at least partially dedicated to the purpose of watching movie software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks