1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What is a GOOD video capture card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_H, May 7, 2002.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I have a vision...I want to digitize in my VHS tapes and laserdiscs, and maybe other formats...edit them digitally, and output them on DVD-R. Now the first step in this chain...VIDEO CAPTURE.

I want a high quality video capture card, and yes, I'm willing to pay the price. I know that a lot of low-end graphics cards include the ability to record in 640x480 video or whatever, but I want better than that. I want smooth 30fps capture at a minimum of 720x480 for DVD authoring, with accurate colors and such. And yes, I know this will take gobs of hard drive space, that is really not an issue these days with the cheap prices on massive hard drives.

So what are my options? My processor is a P3-850, is that adequate for the kind of capturing I'm talking about?

2. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Jason, I just installed the AIW Radeon 7500 which has capture capability in MPEG2 at supposed DVD quality, I guess meaning 720x480. I am about to start testing the recording feature, I have recorded some TV snips (has built in TV Tuner) which came out very nice (similar to SVHS). I haven't yet recorded from the input though, but I have some VHS tapes that I am going to try this with. I will let you know how it goes.
    This card sells for $199 at Best Buy, but you can get it a little cheaper online.
    Your P3-850 should have plenty of power to do this because the Radeon card has hardware encoding/decoding.
    Here is alink to the amnufacturers website
    http://www.ati.com/products/pc/aiwradeon7500/index.html
    Quote from the link

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

DO NOT buy anything that captures directly to MPEG-2 with a price tag of under $2000. It will NOT do a good job

You need at least ATA-66 drives

Otherwise, you should get a Pinnacle DV-500 or their Pro-One cards. Pro-One comes with DVD Authoring software

If you have the cash, there are even more advanced cards.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Any chance that you have a digital camcorder? I've got a Sony PC9 camcorder, and it's got a passthrough for video devices. I can hook my vcr up to my camcorder, and then my camcorder to my Mac via firewire. I can then import the video into any video editing program (on the Mac, that's mostly iMovie and Final Cut Pro), and then make a DVD out of it.

5. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I do not yet have a camcorder, but I may in the future. I don't think I need to go with anything as high end as a Pinnacle card. I see no reason to do any MPEG-2 encoding on the fly...I will just capture the video in uncompressed form, do my editing, use an MPEG-2 encoder, and then burn to DVD-R. Using an MPEG-2 encoder separately shouldn't be too intensive on the system, and will allow me to monitor what kind of video it is putting out.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

That Passthru feature on the digital cameras is a great feature indeed. I have an entry-level JVC and it sadly doesn't do this, but how easy capping would be if it did.

I had a Matrox Marvel G400 and it worked nicely, with very good 2D quality to boot. I recommend the newer Marvel G450 or a Radeon AIW 7500/8500. Both cap in mpeg-2 and I doubt they will do a horrible job with so many good reviews.

If you're really ambitious about your project check out the higher Matrox models (RT 2000/2500), very good quality for what you pay for. They even come with DVDit! LE for authoring.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Do you know how much Hard Drive space uncompressed video takes?

1GB every 45 seconds. Plus the cards for capturing it run about $4000

I STRONGLY recommend you go DV

Again, you don't want an all-in-one card. And you don't want to capture directly to MPEG-2. MPEG is something that needs to be massaged, not tossed through a converter on the fly

8. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

No, I have been brought up-to-date on the current state of technology in the past two days when it comes to video. [​IMG] I want to capture DV video, edit it, encode it in MPEG2, then burn to DVD-R. I am strongly looking at either the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe package, or the Canopus ADVC-100 package. Probably the Pinnacle.
    The last time I tried to capture video was like three years ago, and the technology was so ghetto!

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Actually my old Marvel G400 captured video uncompressed, RGB up to 16-bit. It was some insane bitrate as Jeff pointed out but looked great. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Jason,

I can tell you firsthand that the Canopus ADVC-100 is an excellent piece of equipment. I bought one for work around christmas and it has performed well since.