What is a good subwoofer with this speaker set up?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason Cheung, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Jason Cheung

Jason Cheung Agent

Thanks for looking...
    I just got into home theatre, and I love it. I'm hooked. Anyways...

I currently have this set up as speakers:
    Fronts: B&W 801
    Center: B&W HTM-2
    Surrounds: B&W CDM-SNT

My question is: which sub out there would be a good match for this system?

Right now, it seems as though there just isn't enough bass coming from the 801's.

Some details:
    Budget ranger: $600-800 US
    Room size: 20ft x 9ft x 10ft

Okay...thanks for your help!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

SVS, HSU and the like.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

In case you had not heard, there were some guys who designed & built subwoofers, then advised people on this and other fourms how to build their own. Bowing to pressure, they started building complete subs for people. They now produce some fantastic subwoofers for not much more than it would take you to build one. That is how SVS Subwoofers was created. They are highly-recommended (yes I own one as well).

HSU subwoofers is another line of internet-only subs that have gained quiet respect among experts and users. Their prices are about the same as SVS. People who have had both claim it's a coke vs pepsi comparison - very subtile differences.

Search in the Speakers and Subwoofer fourms for tons of info.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd also recommend Adireaudio, Vmps, and Aci as well. If you need a more customized sub Stryke, Acoustic-vision, and RAD might also suite you as well.

5. GregAV

GregAV Agent

6. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

For style points alone, I recommend Velodyne SPL12. It's tight, LOUD and handsome :). Plus it's smack right within your budget.

Paradigm got sued by velo for patern infringement(servo 15?) so... I'm guess , imitation is a sincerest form of flattery heh.[​IMG]

7. Larry L.

Larry L. Auditioning

Forgive me, but I can't help asking about your desired price range for the sub. A $600 to $800 price cap on the sub simply seems unusual for such an expensive B&W setup. Not that you can't get a good sub for that price, but based on your current setup it would at least "appear" that you could get something better. I would think that someone with that speaker setup would be able to at least consider subs costing 5 or more times as much. This could put you up into the new Velodyne DD-18 or SVS B4 range, not to mention any number of other high end subs which would more closely match the cost/quality level of your speakers. (I'm not addressing DIY units in this thread since they are quite often not a viable option for a many people.)

If in the end you find that you find a sub in the $600 to $800 range that you like just as much as the higher prices units, then you should of course buy it and save the money. To place such a low limit on this purchase if you can afford more, however, strikes me as potentially missing out on some REALLY nice units.

Larry

8. Jason Cheung

Jason Cheung Agent

I hear ya Larry,
    (btw thanks for all posts from others so far)
    Here's the deal:
    I'm very fortunate to have the current speaker set up so far. But I just can't, at the moment, afford any more than my $600-$800 price range for a sub. (Mind you, I'm in Canada, so that's about 3.2 million loonies for me! [​IMG]) Boy, I would love a big, booming sub...but my budget is tight, for now.
    Another thing is, I can't "afford" to knock my house down. Well, the real reason, is my room is moderately sized...okay, it's just not that big. It's about 20 feet long, 9 feet wide and about 10 feet high.
    Anyways, I appreciate all the help I'm getting from this forum. Though I may "appear" like I know what I'm doing with my set-up, I really have no clue. That's why I'm trusting 'strangers' like y'all to help me out. And, yeah, I'm willing to trust a lot of you for your experience.
    Then again, I understand where you're coming from, Larry. But, hey, if ever my budget baloons, I'll give you a shout for some advice for some elite subs...but honestly, I don't think I'm gonna get there....sigh...[​IMG]

Update: so far, I'm leaning on the SVS 20-39 PCI.
    I've not seen, in person, or heard a cylindrical subwoofer. Is it that good?

Again, thanks for the help so far.

Jason

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, they are THAT good. Still, you are in canada, which makes paradigm a very attractive option. PW 200 or servo 15 would be comparable. Shipping and duties on the SVS bring it to a close call, whereas in the states, the SVS is still slightly the better bargain. You should investigate both the paradigm subs, go listen, and then see what the shipping costs and the like are for the SVS and see if it's still the better deal or not. Both are excellent options, youll be happy either way.