What's new

What is a good starter Scotch brand? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I purchased a bottle of Caol Ila as per your suggestion and I really enjoy it quite a bit!
I believe the Lagavulin might be my favorite so far. I have to say I'm a big fan of the smoky flavors over the Highlands or the Speys.

I do want to get a bottle of Bowmore and Laphroaig to compare and contrast though!

So far I've really enjoyed my Scotch experiment and have even gone so far as purchasing two Blade Runner square whisky glasses to add to the experience!!!!

Blu

Screenwriter
I purchased a bottle of Highland Park 18 year old.
I have to say I really like this one!

It is very smooth, has a great honey aftertaste, a very relaxing drink if that makes sense.

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine introduced me to single malts and I have been trying out a few.

Started out with Glenfiddich, nothing special there. Then went to Macallan. This was good..almost perfect.

Then, I decided to try Laphroaig...man what was I thinking...this was like drinking antiseptic or iodine tincture....Ok, will have to give it more time and respect......

On the other side, now you can call me a Laird ;-)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I see you are getting to the good ones already! Lagavulin 18y old is one of the my favourites, if not THE favourite. If you like Lagavulin, then Talisker is another to try out. Not as good IMHO but considerably less per bottle than the 16y old Lagavulin (I don't think 18y is available anymore), if that makes any difference (not really to me as I only drink a glass once in a while).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to have missed out on the start of this thread. Lots of very good suggestions. As for the blends, I usually have some Famous Grouse around for our house tipple and several different single malts from which to choose (depending on our moods). I tend to like the stronger flavored single malts a bit more than my wife, but if I had to choose one for the desert island, it would be The Macallan (especially the 18 yr).

With a bit more time, I'll post some thoughts on my trip on the Whisky trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks