What is a good progressive DVD player for under $300?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

After reading many reviews on the Pioneer DV-444, especially on picture quality, I had been thinking of looking for a better progressive DVD player for under $300. I must admit that I bought the DV-444 without consulting with other people are reading reviews on it. Is there any brand or model (outside of Pioneer) that that I should buy?

My criteria of a good progressive player is:

a) Reliable remote control design or function
    b) Remote control can turn on or off the player
    c) Has reliable 3:2 pull-down
    d) Picture quality is not an issue
    e) Sound quality is not an issue
    f) Progressive scan function is reliable
    g) User-friendly player
    h) Plays mp3s and VCDs
    i) Fast loading time

Any help is appreciated.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thik, you might look into the Panasonic DVD-RP82. It's not out yet, but it should be available soon. It will sell for around $300. Panasonic progressive-scan DVD players have gotten a very good reputation for picture quality in the last year or so. They don't show the chroma bug, for example. The 'RP82 will also play DVD-Audio discs and will probably play MP3-encoded CDs. It should also meet most if not all of your other criteria.

By the way, I know the East Windsor area fairly well. I'm sure between Tweeter, The Wiz, Best Buy, and Circuit City on Rt. 1, you will be able to find the 'RP82 when it is released.