What is a good price range for a reciever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cohen, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

As I said in my previous thread here on this forum, I am looking into getting a home theater system. What price range should I expect to pay for a reciever? I came across a Harmon Kardon brand reciever online today for 1799!!! Is the price I am going to need to pay to get a reasonable reciever??? That is about 1000 dollars more than I was expecting to have to pay for the reciever... Anyone have any good links or tips to some good quality lower priced recievers? I am looking for some in the 400-600 or so price range. Thanks!

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Kenwood, etc. all make very good receivers that sell for less than $1000. I've used Denon & Yamaha & been very pleased. I started with a receiver that retailed for about $500, then upgraded receivers as I upgraded my speakers and other components. In other words, I didn't feel the need to match a $1500 receiver w/ a $300 speaker system. It seems as though $800 to $1000 gets you into the "midrage" hifi category, while $300 to $500 is entry level.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i agree with gary's numbers...
    go to any b&m store, you'll see. at your price-range, there are some really nice choices.
    i'd definitely check out (in no particular order) denon, onkyo, yamaha and hk. also, check out www.outlawaudio.com - their 1050 is pretty highly regarded - it's only 500.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    (now I'm following Ted...[​IMG] )
    Since you have an idea of your budget already, so take a look at what is available in that price range and one to two models up from it to compare features.
    Marantz, Harmon Kardon, Denon, and Sony ES all have receivers in the $1000 and under range that are very good.

5. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Well I havae about qa $700 sony deal 6x100 thingy dts bla bla .. I spend all mu money on speakers and sub power-encloser design as that is where most of your power is going. the ratio was like 60-70% BASS Rest high end..

Till I hit the lotto 0 wont worry about the good stuff like matin longin-speakers - and Krell amps and Lexington stuff. And i am sure I left out all the other goodies like silver cable @ 60$ per foot.. lol..

Will