What is a good price for a prjection screen?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by david kennedy, Nov 29, 2003.

1. david kennedy

david kennedy Stunt Coordinator

I have been hearing some good things about the Sanyo z2 projector and really thinking about finally coming to a decision and pulling the trigger on this baby for Xmas. But since i am a newbie to this i don't know what to do about a screen. My room can get dark enough and i have the viewing for 90 to 100 inch screen but the few screens i saw were pretty expensive and i would want a screen that i could put away when not in use. I was hoping that some fp people would have some advise . I also know that some of you guys made your own screen. That may be an option for me but i must say i am not very gifted with carpentry. I want a screen that is good for watching movies and some hdtv.

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    When you say a screen you can "put away", do you mean literally pack it up and put it in a closet?

Or would roll up screen do? I'm not sure they make portable 16:9 screens...the probably do, but I've never seen one. Not that I've really looked for one. :b just never seen one.

Maybe a manual or even power roll-up screen would be good for you? You could paint the housing to match your ceiling/walls and it wouldn't stand out much, if at all.

If you were willing to leave the screen up all the time, you could make your own for under $100. That's what I will do should I decide to go the Projector route.

3. david kennedy

A roll up screen would be fine i just want it out of the way when not in use.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I use the lowest price Da-Lite 96" 16X9 rollup model "B" high power ($350) with my current LCD projector. I've used differing Da-Lite screens since I built my first HT in 1989. All have been roll-up designs.

5. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

DaLite Model B screens are definitely a very nice screen for the price. For your potential Z2, I think a "matte white" 52x92 pull-down screen would be great. That's what I use with my L300U, and I am very happy with it. I am glad I went with matte white.

So what is the tradeoff for the great price? The model B's have some quality-control issues. My first screen had a warped roller and an imperfection (snag) in the fabric that became a lump on the screen due to the vinyl coating. It also had a pretty good scratch on the top of the metal housing.

I bought mine from Cousin's Video (linked above). As you can see, their prices are fantastic. The screen gets drop-shipped straight from DaLite. Their customer service is also outstanding. I complained due to the problems listed above, and they sent me a new screen right away. I didn't even have to send back the old one until the new one arrived.

The new one was much better. There was still a scratch on the top of the housing in the exact same place, and the roller was still a little warped (it wobbles as it rolls). The front of the screen was just fine, though. The black backing on the screen had a little hole in it that let light through from the back, but we usually watch at night anyway.

Both screens had slight waves in them, but they are almost imperceptible when viewing. Apparently, waves become more of a problem when a "gain" surface is used. I notice the waves much more on a friend's "high power" screen.

It's a great screen for $150. A $40 DIY screen would probably be better, but you can't really "put that away" as easily.

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

$30

7. david kennedy

I was looking at screens and i notiiced that there were 16x9 and 4x3 screens. Which one do you own? And does it matter?

8. Joel L

Joel L Auditioning

I guess 16:9 screens will give more viewing area and less of the blank screen vs the 4x3, shoot am a rookie at this, will leave to the pros.

9. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

The Z2 is a native 16:9 projector, so definitely go with a 16:9 screen.

10. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

11. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer