What's new

What is a good HT reciever for around $500? (1 Viewer)

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Also look at Onkyo in this price range. If you plan on using your receiver to switch component video, be sure to check the bandwidth ratings.

LesterLiu

Grip
rule number one, never trust a salesman. they are ALWAYS blinded by profit. electronic stores are notorious for pushing brands that provide them with a higher profit margin and pioneer is one of the leading culprits.

Base your decision on unbiased reports and recommendations from fellow A/V'ers and you won't be dissappointed. That's why these forums are so popular.

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
NO, no one is trying to push a product, some one is trying to push the idea shop around , base your selection on what matters to you, not what some one else says is better, without clarifing what BETTER means? NEVER love something that can't love you back. further more I happen to like H/K stuff., well maybe not the new stuff. I think it'z like everything else , you know : mass hyonosis,decisions based on popular opnion,PIONEER it must be bad,MARANTZ it must be good ,everyone says so.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Brook: Do yourself a favor and also audition a Yamaha RX-V530 or V630. I've had mine for several months and it's an excellent budget unit with plenty of power and features.

Paul_Fisher: "War Damn Eagle!"

LinChen

Agent
Unbiased? Easier said than done!

Look at all these statements, they make you laugh when hearing the word "unbiased":

Quote:

"Don't go with Denon, they are a best buy/circuit city brand"

LinChen

Agent
More quote:

"they are ALWAYS blinded by profit. electronic stores are notorious for pushing brands that provide them with a higher profit margin and pioneer is one of the leading culprits. "

"Clearly receivers like Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC etc. do not make the grade compared to standards like Denon and Marantz. "

Are those statements based on public opinion or on your own test? How many comparing tests have you done on each product?

LinChen

Agent
Quote:

"you're getting a top notch reciever, comparing it to a pioneer imo is like comparing an Acura TL to a Mercedes C class, the TL may look more enticing on paper, but you know you're getting a quality product with the C class."

Lester, to which pioneer receiver have you compared the Marantz? Can you back up your claim with any data? What kind of tests have you done that have helped you reach such a conlusion? Should be interesting to know.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a few months since I've been on the forum. Got a new job in March installing Roadrunner Broadband service.

I'm also in the same boat looking for a new reciever. Did Marantz solve the problems they had with the x200 line?

Also, how are the new Onkyo models in this same price range?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Yes, Marantz fixed all their problems with their x200 receivers. Any receiver manufactured after the end of 2001 is fine.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
mass hyonosis,decisions based on popular opnion,PIONEER it must be bad,MARANTZ it must be good ,everyone says so.
All I'm saying is that if you're looking for a receiver in the $500 range, you have to go audition the Marantz 5200. What I meant when I said "better" than Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. was that it sounds better. That is, the whole point of a receiver, right?, to get the one that sounds the best? And my opinion is that once you audition the Marantz you will understand how much "better sounding" it is than the other receivers, as a lot of others have found out.

LesterLiu

Grip
if you're asking if I ran tests on all the receivers i looked at prior to making my decision to go with the Marantz then the answer is no. I didn't pull out my scope and meters and compare all the brands. I did however audition every receiver from every manufacturer that I found available and with extensive research through trade magazines, online boards, internet resources, I picked the Marantz 5200 out of a long list of other manufacturers. Just put the 5200 alongside any regular line Sony or Pioneer (not ES or Elite) and you will see the difference in quality. If that's not enough, pick them up or better yet, open them up. I didn't even have a budget when I was shopping for recievers, but I was very pleased when I heard the Marantz the fact that I can get all the features I wanted, the quality I expected at a reasonable price was very unexpected and satisfying.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I hope I didn't get anyone too hot with my comments. They were purely observational. Also, BTW, I've never seen a Denon product at my local Best Buy or Circuit City, so that Pioneer pushing comment held no water.
Anyway, I'm giving my advice from what I've heard in my 4+ months on this forum. Here, you get excellent 3rd party reviews and opinions from the buyers. While I've heard good from both Pioneer and Yamaha, Marantz/Onkyo/Denon seem to have a stronghold on the majority of the receivers in their class. That's the only point I was pushing along.
I'll also point out that I have no local stores that carry many of these product names. When I say local, Best Buy and Circuit City are 55+ minutes away. That's basically my only hands-on selection. Therefore, I base my opinions of these other products (that I don't get to actually listen to) on reviews from other HT folks. That's what made me purchase my AVR-1802 from the Sound Pros courtesy of Denon. ;)

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
i would peep the following:

SONY STR-V ES SERIES
NAKAMICHI AV SERIES
ROTEL RT SERIES
MARANTZ SR SERIES

if u can find used, even better

Stephen_E

Grip
1st: this comment is NOT designed to start a flame war.

last: Sound is ALWAYS personal preference.. there is NO BEST.. there is only what YOU like best.. there is NO best bang for buck.. there are only recommendations... maybe the way the volume dials turns feels so good to you that you dont care if it is THX certified..

personally my Pioneer Elite will over-take Sony DA5ES but that is based off of MY testing.. i like the warm sound of mosfet driven amplification over the bright sound of the the japanese counterpart..

SOUND IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE, JUST LISTEN TO THEM!

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
This is an interesting thread. I am familiar with Marantz and no doubt they do make quality products. Do a search on the forum too. Most of the time I hear people reccommending Onkyo, Denon, and Outlaw. I would look at all of those too. I think all of the ones mentioned here in my post are quality recievers. They just have different features and a different sound. Marantz is at the bottom of this list for me but only because I have not heard one in many years. I have an Onkyo 595 which was recently replaced by the 600 and I am more than happy. As a matter of fact two of my friends listend to it and bought one too. I also have two SVS CS+ subs and Polk speakers. It sounds great and to me was the best value for the amount of money I had to spend. There is alway going to be something better for more money you know? Good luck to you on your search and I hope you find something that makes you happy.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Brook:
Since no one's really mentioned Harman Kardon yet, I thought I would. I just got started in HT recently and got a H/K AVR320 for $499 before shipping from J&R.com . It would be a little over your $500 budget w/ the shipping, but if that's really no problem for you, I think you'd be happy with it. One thing to consider, though, is some people have had problems with their AVR320 shutting off automatically. I haven't (had it for almost 2 months now), and I have it on most of the day.
Anyway, just another one for you to look at...
Good Luck

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Brook, do a search over the past few months for "budget receiver" in this forum. I started a thread about 2 months ago on this very topic. Some decent choices in the $400-500 range (B&M stores) are:

Pioneer VSX-D811S
Yamaha HTR-5560
Onkyo SR600
Marantz SR5200
Denon 1802

If DD-EX/DTS-ES are important to you then the Denon is off the list (or you need to spend a bit more and get the 2802 OR you should wait till August when apparently they are releasing the 1803 model).

good luck,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks