What's new

What is a good HT receiver that is also good at 2 channel stereo? (1 Viewer)

Michael_Santti

Auditioning
Got roughly 800 bucks to spend on a new receiver.

Not sure if it is possible at this price but is there a good HT receiver that will give me good 2 channel stereo as well?

Considering a Marantz, a NAD, or Denon.

Any thoughts?

Speakers:

Paradigm Monitor 3 - Main

Paradigm ADP 370 - Rear

Paradigm CC-370 - Center

Paradigm PDR-10 - Sub

MIke Santti

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I've always felt that Denon receivers give a very sweet sound when used as a stereo receiver.
With Denon one gets the best of both worlds...excellent Dolby Digital sound and sweet sounding stereo.
Of course both Marantz and NAD are fine machines too!
JohnG:)

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
2-channel on a Marantz really is something special. It's hard to describe, but it's more ALIVE. I was really surprised the first time I heard one. I have a SR-8200 now, and it excels in two channel AND surround.

Listen to as many models as you can, and go for what YOU think is best. Don't second guess yourself, you will rob yourself of a lot of enjoyment.

Good luck!

Pete

Martice

Screenwriter
That depends on what associated equipment you have. If you have a nice receiver but crappy speakers, nothings going to help you. If you have a Denon in a system that is more capable of revealing detail then the Denon will be the weakest link in the chain and the rest of your system suffers. So if you post what the rest of your system looks like then maybe I and some of us can give you opinions based on what synergistically might work for your system.

Remember, any product may sound nice in someone elses system but not yours. So take some suggestions and then try to get your seller to let you take the product to your house for a few days to hear it. If not, try to get a return agreement if you don't like it for whatever reason. If you have to listen to it in a store, bring your favorite CD's which you're most aquainted with and try to go from there.

Good Luck.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I would add Harman Kardon to that. My 500 get's 85 watts per channel two stereo and the clarity is just great.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you have $800 to spend, I would check out the Onkyo TX-DS797. Lots of power and features and the sound should be decent. I am seriously considering one myself. Give one a listen if you can.

I'm using a NAD T751. I based my choice on the sound for two channel music. NAD takes the approach that if it sounds good with music it will sound good with film soundtracks. This works for me.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I really think a Denon would do you wonders. Many people complain about audio drop-outs from Marantz, and overall weak power from them. Also, I don't think NAD has Prologic II, a BIG PLUS with 2 channel sources, TV, CD, etc. I would give the Denon, and Onkyo a good listen, maybe even a Yamaha. If you are buying from an authorized dealer, you can probably swing for a Denon 2802 or Onkyo 696 or Yamaha RX-V1200. If you are going the unauthorized way, you can muster a Denon 3802 or Onkyo 797 or Yamaha RX-V2200. ALL ARE EXCELLENT! Listen to them, and see what sounds best to you(I'd go with the Denon personally:))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks