What is a good digi cam??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Guidry, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

I am kinda looking to get one but I dont know much about them. Can someone help me...I am not looking to get the best on or the most expencive but I would like to get a nice one. maybe around the 6-7 range.

Thanks

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

3. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

I got the Canon Powershot G2 online for a little over $700, and I've got no complaints. 4 megapixel resolution, lots of customizability of settings, and a neato-bandito swing-out viewscreen (like on camcorders), so you can take pictures without even having to hold the camera up to your face.
    I got mine at this site: http://www.digitaletailer.com/shop/s...dMainType=home

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've got an Olympus 3030 Zoom that I love. You can find the 3040Zoom, a slightly updated model, in about your pricerange.

5. Mark Guidry

ok I have a mega pix question. Lets say a 2.1MP will give you a pic the is 8x10 (I think that is rigth) and a 3.1MP will give you a pic at 11x14...if you resize the 3.1MP to 8x10 will it be sharper and better quality than the 8x10 from the 2.1 or is it the same?

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'll throw in my vote for the G2 as well. I got it for $688 from Dell back in October last year.

7. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

8. Dan Hotch

Dan Hotch Agent

Although relatively new to HT (haven't upgraded from a pair of crapy JVC speakers yet.) This is something I do know about. I own a Canon G1.

First let me second the recommendation for DPreview and Steves-Digicams. Great reviews and good info on the forums (DPreview is better IMO.)

As far as resolution, a good rule of thumb that I use is no less than 200 pixels per inch for photo quality prints assuming you print them on-line at places like Ofoto or Photoaccess (two of the better places.) This means that a 3 mp camera can print to about 10". However, I have printed a 20x30 print from a 3mp file and it looks great... ...As long as you don't get too close. Same as with a monitor if you get to close you can start to see the individual pixels. Because it is hung on a wall in such a way that you can't get close to it (across a stairway) it looks great. You can also "resample" it in programs like photoshop which will use algorithms much like a line doubler to give you more resolution.

If you want more info on printing digital pics search the forums on DPreview (but be careful, acceptible minimum resolution for printing is like asking what kind of speaker cable should you buy.)

One last thing, If you are looking for a digital camera don't go by MP alone. The speed of the lens, build construction, color depth (bits/color) and setting options are more important in that order IMO.

9. Joseph Hoetzl

I'll throw another vote for Canon in general. I have a Powershot S10, and can achieve some pretty good results.
    http://www.geocities.com/jhoetzl
    I've used other people's G1's and G2's and liked them a lot, just not enough to get rid of my trusty S10.
    I am also a big fan of compact flash over just about any other format, which AFAIK Canon uses all the time.
    If you are considering printing your shots, get at least 3MP for MAX, and I mean max 8x10 prints.
    The S10 I have, when printed at 8x10 starts to look crappy. 5x7 prints are all I can expect. Even the best digicams can't compare to print, but unless you are planning on regularly printing posters or some other large photo prints, a 3MP camera should suffice. I use my mainly for product shots and web site work, so it is perfect for that.

10. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've been checking out digital cameras lately to upgrade the one I've had for about 4 years. There are certainly some great ones out there and choices and options are aplenty.For those past few years, I've been using a simple point and shoot digital panasonic with removable compact flash. I also have the Sandisk reader and I have to say importing the files is so easy..... I know the one I get will be a compact flash type camera but the old one that I have just does such a good job, that I find myself just about unable to justify spending the money on a new one. Every time I find one I think I want, I spend the money on HT instead.....

Most of us, I think, just use our digital cams to take bunches of pics to import into our puters and weed out the bad ones, and burn the good ones off on cdr. Just about any of the simple ones do this very well....

11. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I just got a G2 this week. I'm still figuring it out, but it takes great pictures.

You should use from 200-300ppi to calculate printing size. I set resolution to 300ppi when printing to a photo quality printer. The G2's max resolution is 2272x1704.

CF cards are pretty cheap now. Get a big one and shoot in raw mode. You can do a lot more post processing that way.

12. Mark Guidry

Heu=y everyone thanks for all the info! I am not looking to do so much big printing...it is mainly just for fun and to save the pics on to a computer but I want to have real good looking pics. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Mark,

I'm a Commercial Photographer, and while I rarely shoot digitally, an awful lot of stuff I shoot these days goes through a digital stage. Despite what many general people seem to think, it still makes a lot of sense for what I do to shoot film even when the final stage is digital. One of the reasons is resolution, which is where I also hear wildly unrealistic claims about digital photography.

Fortunately, based on some of the posts here, expectations seem to be getting more realistic, though the claims I see in print are grossly exaggerated. A couple people who already posted are absolutely right. 200dpi in the final print is basically the minimum not to have visible pixellation. From that point it is pretty easy to figure out the capabilities strictly from the point of resolution. So a 3.2 Mp camera can give you a photographic quality 8x10 with no coppping.

What is harder to determine is the general picture quality and which cameras yield images that need little or no post-processing. Since resolution is the "magic pill" of digital cameras, manufacturers tend to put little emphasis on the importance of these other aspects.

Here's what I would suggest looking for. (1) A reasonable zoom range. Probably 3x to 4x is a good thing to expect in your range. A camera that has a 10x zoom in this price range is going to be sacrificing other aspects like sharpness, contrast and maximum aperture to get the zoom range. (2) A camera that uses Compact Flash media. They are capable of larger storage, are often cheaper and I understand they tend to be more reliable. A pivoting monitor, so you don't have to be looking straight at the back of the camera to see the image. (3) I would probably lean toward a "camera" brand rather than an electronics brand, but that's just me. (4) Capability for manual over rides. You may not ever use them, but if you learn more about photography, you'll be glad you have them.

Personally, if I was going to get one for "fun" I would get the Nikon 995, which has had a $100 rebate on it, though I don't know if that is still on. If it is, you should be able to get it around your price range after the rebate. I suggest getting that has capabilities greater than you want right now. If you don't, you'll end up trying to squeeze more out of it than you can. With the Epson Photo printers available these days, you can get amazingly good prints yourself.