What is a good component wire to go with a Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi to a 65 inch TV

1phatnav

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hi, Can anyone tell me what brand I should be looking at for the component video cables. I have a Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi dvd player which is like $1000 and I am connecting it to a 65 inch Mitsubishi Diamond TV. I want to get good wires for this and wanted to see if anyone has any input on what brand they like or don't like. Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The smart money is custom cables like the ones from www.bluejeanscables.com Like many of the custom-sites, they use the coax & connectors sold to broadcast industry in bulk and have the technical specs that video engineers look for. And this stuff starts at about $50 for a 6-ft cable. (Search the Tweeks and Connections fourm for posts by satisfied customers.)

My system has the Canare based cables, but the Belden stuff is also very popular.

WARNING: You might still want retail cables, but dont buy "component" cables. Component video is a 1940's standard. Make sure the cables say "HD" on the package or you are getting the older stuff.

Hope this helps.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Eh???

Video cables are video cables. There's nothing special about HD or older stuff except that higher resolutions are more demanding on the cables. Any high performance video cable should be fine, such as the canare/belden stuff mentioned.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Coax is made with specific frequency ranges in mind. A glance at the attenuation charts on the Belden or Canare websites show the differences between the different models.

For standard video - a coax with 3db of loss at 12 Mhz is fine. But for progressive video you want the 3db point at 48 Mhz and for HD video you want the 3db point to be at 90-120 Mhz.

( 3db is 50% reduction in signal)

But without this technical information, the $13, $29 and $220 cables all look alike. The only thing the consumer can look for is writing on the package saying the cables are rated for the higher-frequency signals.

Another example: When Yamaha started claiming their receivers had HD compatible component switching, they documented the bandwidth at 90 Mhz. Their eariler receivers with component inputs had a listed bandwidth of 15 Mhz. This was fine for standard-video, but not HD video.

You just want to make sure everything in the signal-path for the video has the bandwidth to handle the HD video signals. If you buy retail for your new HD set, make sure the cables, switch box or receiver is rated for the higher frequency. Just "Component" is no reassurance.

Hope this helps.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
yes bob, you do want high performance cables especially for high bandwidth applications, but in choosing cables for this you want to look at the specs for the cables as you mentioned. Marketing labels such as "HD" or "digital" on the package may be meaningless.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaywess