What's new

What is a good brand of rechargable batteries and charger? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all...

Anyone have a recommendation for a good brand of rechargable batteries and charger?

I used to use a Panasonic charger, but it was really hard to find batteries for it.

I want a charger that accepts all kinds of sizes of batteries like AA, AAA, C, D. Ideally, the batteries would last a while between charges and are well supported: so I can find additional batteries easily when I need them.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Ernest

KyleS

Screenwriter
Great thread Ernest as I was just starting to wonder about this after spending a load on batteries to run things around the house. What is a good brand to buy and what should one expect to pay?

KyleS

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, that's why I want to get a charger: COST! it's a total waste of money to keep buying batteries for all the gadgets around the house!! :frowning:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Great thread, I can actually offer some good advice on the subject. I had 4 pairs of them purple Rat-Shack double AA's

and they lasted me for 3 years of hundreds of uses. I believe there are a number of different colors like gold and green and I have never tried any of the others. Just the purples. The discman I was using back then in 1993(Sony D515, first model with ESP) only lasted, at best, 1.5 hours with new 2 batteries in it. Needless to say, rechargebles were a must and I lucked out because for $20.00 worth of batteries they lasted me over 3 years!!

I had a charger that charged four of them at a time and didn't drain the power of them before the next charge. I always made sure they were fully drained before charging and kept them when not in use with a full charge.

I replaced these Rat-Shack rechargebles in about 1997 with the same kind and have been using them since. They don't get quite as many uses like that first set and now have a charger that drains them before recharging. But they still hold their power and have done me well. I have only used AAs and my charger only supports AAs. It is a Go Quick Charge 3 hour NiCa Conditioner/Charger and has also has been excellent.

Its nice to know that Radio Shack has something else good to offer than just SPL meters. Highly reccomended.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I use a Ray-o-Vac charger (bought at Home Depot, the latest version is in a black casing) - a model which will charge *all* brands of NiMh, NiCad and Rechargable Alkaline (Ray-o-Vac makes these) in sizes AAA thru D. I've had very good results: I haven't bought a new set of batteries for my son's GameBoy or his My First Sony cassette player in over a year. A set of batteries costs a little more than double what an alkaline set would cost, but, obviously, lasts much longer. I have two sets of the rechargables which I regularly rotate into the devices. For the Game Boy, I use the NiMh; for the cassette, it's the alkalines.

A BIG money-saver!

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought an Energizer NiMH pack from Sam's Club. It contains eight AA batteries and a 4-battery charger (AA size only) for $20. The charger is slow (17 hours for the NiMH batteries), but the batteries hold 1700 mAH, which is the best you can find currently (longest lasting power).

I figure I'll get a universal charger later if I ever find devices powered by other than AAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks