What is a good 5.1 or 6.1 set up for $1500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Gray, May 19, 2002.

1. Richard Gray

Richard Gray Stunt Coordinator

If you had a decent Receiver such as the Yamaha RX-V1200 and a couple of JBL-ND310's for the A mains, what would be a good compliment for them? I like a 60/40 mix of movies (action to drama to Sci-Fi) to music Classics Rock, R&B, a bit of Jazz and even Classical.

2 more JBL Northridge 310's

2 S36II's

2 S-38's

2 S-26's

or N-24's

Also, if I could go outside of the family, so to speak and get another make/manufacturer what would be a good set up?

2. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

Richard,

I run a Yamaha 2200 (upgraded from a 1200) with 4 ND310's for mains and surrounds. I run about 70/30 music/ht and I was quite pleased with everything. A few days ago, I wired up a Parasound 855 amp and now it sings! I went the 4 tower route because I knew I'd be listening to music as much or more than watching DVD's. Those towers just seem to be more "filling" to me when listening to music. I'd go the 4 tower route again give the choice. Just my .02 ...

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Here are my suggestions, outside of the JBL line:
    SPEAKERS
    • nOrh 4.0 Ceramic Loudspeakers ($850)
    • Home Theater Direct Level III speakers (but not their sub)
    • Diva 4.1 surround sound set (includes a pair of 4.1s, 2.1s and C3 center channel) ~$1198 + shipping
    I would only recommend the Divas if you did not want to get a subwoofer. If you're interested in a sub, these may be the best choices for you:
    SUBWOOFERS
    • SVS 25-31PCi ($549 + shipping) or 20-39PCi ($649 + shipping)
    • Adire Audio Dharman $599 + shipping)
    • Hsu VTF-2 $499
    You may mix and match to suit your needs. Hope that helps.

4. Richard Gray

Richard Gray Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Duane,

The 4 tower method seems to be where things will go. As these ND-310's are breaking in nicely. One thing that I didn't expect. The mid to lower bass is very prominent. A little tweaking in the 1200 brought things back.

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the post. I'm still on the fence as far as mixing with other manufactueres speakers. I did get to listen to some other manufactures mid-fi offerings. The Mirage FRX-5 (Tower) and FRX-2 (Bookshelf) and they sound very neutral. That might work out given their neutrality, but the 5's cost more than the ND-310's.

And the Diva 4.1 are very fine setup's. I will give them another listen. With a nice upper mid range sound.

And Yes I am looking for a GOOD thumping, er, Subwoofer. Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

5. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

I'll recommend the Totem Dreamcatcher 5.1 setup for about $1600.