What's new

What is a 'free resonant' speaker and how does it work? (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
At AVS Forum I noticed the mentioning of a 'free resonant' speaker system. This was in a thread called 'harmonic structures' in the AV improvements section, which I didn't really understand at all. At that forum I've read things about stuff like 'tunable rooms' and the like... but I'm really curious about how such a system would work.

Anyway, one poster said "The Yale and Columbia University music departments visited my home to take a listen and they left scratching their heads. They had never experienced anything like what they heard in an "ordinary" room in a house, acoustically treated with PZCs, mechanically tuned components and using free resonant speakers." Also, "All I can tell you is that these free resonant speakers are the most "neutral" (for lack of a better word) sounding speakers I have ever experienced in over 30 years in this hobby."

So what the heck is a free resonant speaker? Isn't a speaker not supposed to resonate? Or am I missing something?

Marc H

Second Unit
I think that term applies to a raw driver, free of a box or baffle board, open all around.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but free air resonance is when the frame of the driver starts to move in opposite harmony to the cone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks