What is a comb filter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil L, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Hi,

What is a comb filter?

Also what is the difference between digital and 3dyc? Which is better?

I'm looking into getting a new TV, probably a 36. The only thing that I want from it is picture quality and the above terms were confusing me.

Phil

2. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

This should help. From the ultimate guide to comb filters - http://www.cybertheater.com/Tech_Rep...b_filters.html:

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Phil: try and get a set that has multiple INPUTS (not just multiple connections for 1 input). You would like SVideo and Component if possible. Both SVideo and Component connections will bypass the internal comb filter.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

3D (3D Y/C) is best. Digital by itself is insufficient information. "3 line digital" or "3 line dynamic" or "3 line adaptive" is what I consider the minimum requirement for a comb filter.
    If you feed anything into the TV via its antenna connection or yellow (composite) video jacks or if you watch TV shows using the TV's own channel selector, the TV comb filter's quality will make a difference. (Those folks who use ONLY the S-video and component video jacks don't have to worry about the TV's comb filter.)
    By the way, a "composite to S-video converter" is a comb filter or a filter (notch filter) that performs the same function. Those not advertised as containing at least a "3 line dynamic" or better comb filter, or at any rate those costing under USD 100., give results far inferior to a 3 line adaptive comb filter although you might not notice any degradation of VHS tape playback.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm